8.10.2006

with powder pink & sweet

dear friends,

1. flashback

because I really don't need another project but I seem to want to suffer, I thought I'd see if anyone is interested in taking part in a second soft communication mix exchange? hmmm...anyone?

naturally, the theme would be different than last time. right now, I'm torn between "pick a book & dream up its soundtrack" or "road trip", an old suggestion of contributor mary's, though I'd probably add that it needs to be a specific scenario road trip. for example, not so much "hey, I'm on the road" but more like, "hey, I'm on the road with a severed hand & an inherited collection of nancy drew hardcovers with coppahs on my trail - ain't life grand!" but you know, simpler.

if you're interested in making copies of your mixes to a bunch of friends/possible strangers over happy hour sometime in the next couple of months, hollah.

2. videos from childhood, part seven

caterpillar girl/the cure



I practiced those flicka flicka & catcha cata cata parts like I was heading straight for carnegie hall. I teased my hair until it looked like an egret nest & tried hard to look smoky without the benefit of make-up since I was too young to wear it & besides, goth/punk don't work if you look can't-put-my-finger-on-it ethnic.

yes, the cure is responsible for my branching out from say, animotion, & investigating things that would never, ever play on the radio unless you could pick the signal for wdre/wlir on your trusty portable. robert smith, I will always love you, even though you never change your style or your lipstick color. I blame these violin see-saws & opening hoo hoos. it will always be the sound of a start.

3. yes, I was flattered

last time I was at the brand spankin' new union hall I was informed that I was gorgeous! like garofalo*! by a fella named stan who told me white girls can't resist his piece. because I am not caucasian, he was cool with revealing his secret power move which consists of him flashing his victims & then kissing their hand. pure class. nice meeting you stanley, I hope they didn't boot you out of the bocce lanes for messing with the white people.

but I've digressed, my friend pete galub, who surely won't flash anyone is playing this friday at union hall at 9pm. to preview some of his new material, check out his my space page.

wish me luck, tomorrow I am headed off to la playa in jersey with momz. I hope you have a lovely weekend as well!

love, d

* I look nothing like ms garofalo. but I am bespectacled, short & prone to making caustic remarks. that's probably what's to blame. on a related note, has anyone seen her lately? wha'appened??? she got all buff & stuff! but it's not so much that as I don't even recognize her face? & she's on the radio?!? exijo una explicacion!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

d, she's also become a SCIENTOLOGIST (!)...what is the world coming to? xxoo c

4:47 PM, August 10, 2006  
Blogger d said...

SHUT UP! I don't believe you!!! that is awful. I am now going to google "janeane garofalo" & "scientologist"...

4:51 PM, August 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

After your recent Pavement bootleg geek out offer, I should at least sack up on the mix club. Let me know, when a theme emerges.

Also, been listening to the re-issue of the Glove (Rob Smith and Siouxsie & the Banshees dude side project) the bonus disc where Robert sings on every song is pretty great, like a lost weirdo '83 Cure album. Have you heard that at all?

6:05 PM, August 10, 2006  
Blogger d said...

ha! I wish I was responsible for the pavement goodness but for that I bow at the altar of flux.

feel free to weigh in on mix theme preference, especially after a drink or three.

I haven't heard that glove stuff at all. I am intrigued...

6:46 PM, August 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home