7.31.2006

that was just a joke about the money

dear friends,

1. because I am busy, uno

not a whole lotta time for anything. been busy contacting bands for upcoming shows & busy trying to re-organize my itunes in anticipation for the battle between myself & matt from earfarm at tomorrow's beg yr pardon #5. he's been doing a lot of smack talking & I have no idea what he'll play which means it will be fun. I am curious to see if he's gonna play an 8+. if he does, I plan to retaliate with in-a-gadda-da-vida.

PSYCH! of course I'm not gonna play that. I'm gonna play yoko ono 12" remix instead. like, duh.

of course, byp isn't all fun & eye-loss. the bands are great too! come check out:

air waves (8PM)
schwervon (9PM)
el jezel (10PM)
via audio (11PM)

$5 admission, $5 all you can eat bbq on the roof from 7-9 & FREE BEER from 11:30 to 12:30. plus tina's brownies & cupcakes.

2. because I'm busy, dos

xxx/helium



this video is important to me in the sense that late one sunday, I was up, doing homework or something on my black cat hair covered couch & about a few seconds in, when the guitar makes its first distorted fuzzy caterpillar entrance, I felt like someone threw that cinematic water glass in my face. I'd been asleep for years & this woke me up. I took one big breath. & did a startled look-around.

I still love mary timony * even though unlike everyone else, I actually enjoyed her solo experimentations in dragon rock, & didn't see her last album as a particular return form just 'cause it failed to mention unicorns. C'MON. there is ALWAYS a place for unicorns in indie rock. 'cause unicorns are kickass.

love, d

* mary timony was the lead singer/guitarist/main songwriter in helium. many years ago, while on an incredibly long club bathroom line, I saw her standing in front of a mirror fixing her (then) blonde bouffant. she used her pinky to fix the black line she had drawn above her lashes & then moved her face around inspecting the overall effect. I sighed internally with an "I wish I wuz her" followed by an even more adolescent, "I wish I was her friend." luckily for me, I did not drink at the time so I never approached her to tell her this. thank god. that's one less item for the d makes an ass of herself montage.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger therese said...

I think I was at that show with you. Or maybe you just told me about your Mary Timony bathroom encounter shortly afterwards so now, through some trick of memory, I was at that show with you. Wait, was it Helium and Guvner at the Middle East? Yes, I was there. I think it may have even been my birthday.

1:21 PM, July 31, 2006  
Blogger d said...

hmmm, I don't remember you being there with me. though I can tell you I've never seen guvner so probably not?

1:24 PM, July 31, 2006  
Blogger therese said...

Hmm. Then chalk it up to vagaries of memory. And the fact that I drink.

1:54 PM, July 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home