5.24.2007

This is why I love Daniella (and Radiohead)

A few weeks ago D & I were coming back from some show or party, we were a little tipsy, and it was probably around 2am. In that state, whatever conversation we had would be completely forgotten by morning, except that we ended up having one of our recurring arguments over a Radiohead song, Morning Bell. I prefer the dreamier, insomniac version from Amnesiac, while she prefers the Kid A version. I probably put more emphasis on the musical style, and she is more interested in the meaning or lyrics. Her entire preference is based on a single word: "please". Thom sings "Release me... please" on the Kid A version, but it becomes "yeah" on the Amnesiac version. It would almost go unnoticed, but D has a knack for digging into meanings.

In the end I really don't care one way or the other, but what I do care about is how awesome it is that I can have this conversation with someone about a minute detail of my favorite band? It's very nice.



* * *



A few years ago I worked in an office on 31st Street just outside of Madison Square Garden.

One day I met D after work, and I sighed as we walked passed the giant "RADIOHEAD" marquee, knowing that it's impossible to get tickets. We were almost to the other end of the block when D pulls 2 tickets out of her bag and says "We could go home, or we could go there..."

She somehow used her connections and snagged a couple tickets. It was one of the best concerts I've ever been to, rivaling even my first concert experience when I saw Pink Floyd in 1994.



* * *


Rewind to 4 years ago, I had just moved to Park Slope to share an apartment with Tina and we're having a house-warming party. This was back when D & I were just friends. Radiohead tickets went on sale the following morning for $2, as part of some special Radio promotion. My plan was to stay up all night, then go early the next morning to wait in line. "Who's with me?"

D was the only one brave enough, or obsessed with Radiohead enough to accept. After a nice early breakfast at Katina's Diner we ventured uptown. Of course we didn't get tickets, there were much more hardcore fans who camped out over night to get them. But not getting the tickets just made it that much sweeter when we saw them later. For music geeks like me, this was much more romantic (though not really intended) then say... a carriage ride in Central Park.



See for yourselves which version of "Morning Bell" you like best...


Morning Bell (Kid A version)/Radiohead (mp3)

Morning Bell (Amnesiac version)/Radiohead (mp3)

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Tina said...

Not to be a complete dork, but that was the sweetest post to a person. You guys are very very good together. And you like Radiohead. Which is very very good. I like the Kid A version better - the please does kill me.

4:48 PM, May 24, 2007  
Blogger therese said...

I just "Awwwwed" audibly. I agree with Tina on the sweetness of the post and the goodness of Daniella and Jeremy.

But I'll have to get back to you on the Morning Bell question. I am, at best, a casual Radiohead listener.

I feel very vulnerable after admitting that.

5:05 PM, May 24, 2007  
Blogger Battering Room said...

Kid A version is better. (disclaimer - Morning Bell is one of my least favorite Radiohead songs)

I camped out for Beacon. Didn't get tix.

: (

6:26 PM, May 24, 2007  
Blogger d said...

@ Tina
I don't know when he had the time to write this. He is a sneaky simian.

@ Therese
Tada! Now's your chance to hear those songs and decide for yourself.

@ BR

Really?! It seemed like ALL the campers got in. We kept watching them pack up their stuff and get tickets.

Despite not getting in, that was a nice day.

11:10 PM, May 24, 2007  
Blogger Tavie said...

I dunno when he had the time to write it either, but it WAS slow yesterday...

But, hell, D, after reading that, now I'm in love with you. DAMN.

8:44 AM, May 25, 2007  
Blogger Eric said...

great post--very sweet.

i like both versions equally. they're like two sides of the same coin--it's great that the world has both.

1:08 PM, May 25, 2007  
Blogger Kirsten said...

I should have something more to say but understand that unexpected eloquence from you leaves me feeling the exact opposite. You've a way with the words, kachou.

The arrangements on both versions distracted me to the point where I couldn't really listen to or feel the lyrics much. Maybe that was the point? Dunno.

Gut reaction?

Kid A reminded me of Chara.

Amnesiac reminded me of the Haunted Mansion ride.

So I mildly like them both.

9:37 PM, May 25, 2007  
Blogger WDV said...

definitely more into the amnesiac version. the kid a version is way too processed and clean. i love the amnesiac version for all those crazy bell sounds in the background. not to mention that keyboard line in the end, amazing.

but i completely agree with you on how great it is to have someone to care about who has good tastes as well. its definitely underrated as an attribute people look for.

12:22 AM, May 26, 2007  
Blogger Matt said...

Jeremy! this is a very nice post. and as for the two versions... well, it's the Kid A version for me all the way.

1:01 PM, May 31, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home