5.21.2007

Where all of this is heading

Dear friends,

I crave the smell of cigarettes when I'm out at night. Not all the time. Usually at shows, just after people leave the venue and stand huddled together on a sidewalk, smoke rising from their mouths. I sit there with my glass of wine and fight the urge to run out and join them.

I was never a heavy smoker ever, no pack a day habit or anything, but I started young. Young enough that I'm embarrassed to say when I started. This is partly why I quit recently. I didn't go the patch route. No hypnotism. No acupuncture. No one pressured me into it. I just decided to give it a try. I'm still trying. It's a process.

This Beauty Pill song is not about cigarettes. It sounds like a time capsule buried in your backyard. The items inside speak of apathy. A postcard with something cryptic on it, a polaroid of a blur. It's almost empty really and it appears to exist only to rattle you. You can put it back where you found it or you can try to change the outcome. It's up to you.

Only one of these folks plays on this song


Cigarette Girl From The Future/Beauty Pill (mp3)

Buy Cigarette Girl From The Future by Beauty Pill.

Befriend them on My Space.

Love, D

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes. I bought this EP from a little record store in Ann Arbor years ago based on cover design alone. I still think was the best mystery music purchase I've ever made. Every track on it is good, though the title track is probably the best - not least of all for bizarre cadences and the lyrics about the mistaken impression that the future is going to be like something out of the Jetsons when it's really "like moving into a house where the last tenant was a suicide and the landlord looks at you nervously."

And then, inexplicably changing directions, "but what I need to know is how much strychnine was in the ecstacy you gave me an hour ago."

11:19 AM, May 21, 2007  
Blogger d said...

Yeah, I love the bad trip reverie aspect too. I wondered if it was trying to say, in a very indirect way, that the 90's sucked hard.

11:25 AM, May 21, 2007  
Blogger Tina said...

I love the drugged out voices on that ecstasy part. The whole song is awesome.

2:04 PM, May 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home