5.30.2007

A stream of absurdities

Dear friends,

I'm leaving my job and starting a new career. In celebration, I give you...The Pointer Sisters!

Anita, June and Ruth are so excited!


1. Neutron Dance/The Pointer Sisters (video)



Don't front. You LOVED Beverly Hills Cop. You thought it was dope and this song makes you do the robot. Ah, thick neon green bright socks of yore. You never see those in 80's revival movies, I think it's a shame. Costumers of the world, take note!

2. My favorite of the Sisters is the basso profundo Ruth Pointer. Her dark, rough edged vocal quality stands in hard contrast next to her sweeter voiced siblings. In the harmonies, her voice, subway level low, adds rumble and texture as opposed to the usual pretty.

Automatic/The Pointer Sisters (Soul Train video)



Automatic sounds like aria sung by a computer with emphysema. The fact that it's about disconnection and passion clashing makes it weirdly poignant. I picture this ancient machine whirring away, the following words popping up on the screen: I don't understand. I'm not supposed to feel anything. I'm a computer. But I am losing it...for your love! My system is down, down down! Etc...

Why no one has covered this song is beyond me.

On a side note, these outfits are out of hand. I dedicate this to my friend Marta.

3. Fire/The Pointer Sisters (video)



Best pop song about being a cold, tempestuous tease. Thank you Mr. Bruce.

4. You Can Can (Feat. Gaylord Birch)/The Pointer Sisters (video)



Four of 'em! Yes, that would be Bonnie Pointer before she left to go solo. Sweet harmonies and funk like two scoops of vanilla with cherries on top. Be sure to watch the drum solo/breakdown at 3:03. Very tasty.

5. Last but not least...

Pinball Number Count/The Pointer Sisters (Sesame Street video)



If this is how you learned how to count, I'd like to meet you.

Love, D

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Tina said...

Congrats! What are you doing?

1:06 PM, May 30, 2007  
Blogger d said...

I'll be clicking "add friend" all day long. In a tiger suit. It will be AWESOME.

1:57 PM, May 30, 2007  
Blogger therese said...

WHY did I never realize the the Pinball Counting Song was performed by the Pointer Sisters?

2:35 PM, May 30, 2007  
Blogger Tina said...

Awwww, shit! That's great! Tiger suits!

4:33 PM, May 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, that number song has been stuck in my head for like 23 years, and I never knew the Pointer Sisters had anything to do with it. That would make a great LCD Soundsystem cover...

"...Eee-leven, twelve-uh"

8:43 AM, May 31, 2007  
Blogger d said...

Apparently, someone remixed it last year and it was a big club hit in Europe. I need to find that...

11:00 AM, May 31, 2007  
Blogger Alex said...

that is how i learned to count, actually. (i really wish they would consider doing a song about 13-24.)

6:28 PM, June 02, 2007  
Blogger punk ass g said...

I thought someone had covered Automatic in recent years? Oh, wait, I'm thinking of Break My Stride, which was orginally released around the same time, my bad. But dig me, I actually know a lil something about music.

I didn't realize it was the PS doing the counting song. But I do remember them singing the Can Can song on the Electric Company on these pedestals in front of this "Laugh-In"-type hippie dippy flowered covered wall.

3:56 PM, June 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home