5.29.2007

Baby, you drive me crazy...

I saw the Jesus & Mary Chain play at Webster Hall last Monday.* I'd been looking forward to it for ages- I bought a ticket the morning they went on sale despite the $55 ticket price (Which included $10 in TicketWeb fees. And that's with the will call option! Jerks.)

Here's what it looked like from where I was standing (apologies for the crappy camera phone shot):



My initial impression? Eh. My friend Mark thought they sounded like the Jesus & Mary Chain doing karaoke versions of their own songs. But I'm starting to reassess that. I've been singing Far Gone and Out and Between Planets all week. I changed my MySpace profile song to Happy When it Rains. I rewatched Lost in Translation specifically for that final scene where Bill Murray gets out of the cab and chases Scarlett Johansson down the street to whisper something in her ear. Something that makes her cry. And smile. And then Just Like Honey plays as they part.

So yeah, I guess I liked it. Or, more accurately, I like that the show made me revisit albums and movies I love, but rarely listen to or watch anymore. And I love that I still love them. Oh, and I also love that the bartender forgot to charge me for a round of drinks. Made me feel a little better about spending $55 on the ticket.

*Music Snobbery has a set list here. Brooklyn Vegan has photos from the Tuesday show here.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger d said...

Yeah, I've heard the same curious mixture of "meh" and "nice." I love JAMC but I couldn't afford the ticket price. Painful!

5:30 PM, May 29, 2007  
Blogger Battering Room said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZRECWcW89g

7:12 PM, May 29, 2007  
Blogger therese said...

The grown up in me knew that plunking down $55 for a ticket was a guarantee that I would feel ambivalent about the show. But I rarely listen to my inner grown up.

9:08 AM, May 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home