6.08.2006

in the night the fires burning bright

dear friends,

I wrote a long wrap-up post on wednesday about the beg yr pardon party at the delancey on tuesday night. BUT thanks to blogger & my brain, it vanished. I have tried my best to reconstruct it albeit in a fragmentary, rambling sorta way.

- arriving at delancey was greeted by festive fancy prom night decor concept & banner provided by phina. mmm, hello brownies!

(inner dialogue, post brownie scarf, entitled "sense vs whatever":

a: CHOCOLATE IS BAD FOR YOU!
b: I know. shut up.
a: you'll regret it later...
b: no, I won't. leave me alone. go get a vodka red bull or something.
a: okay, but only if it's light on the booze. remember the excedrin we have to take later.
b: okay, okay. geez.

etc...)

(the above parenthetical shouldn't scare you. I was an only child, latchkey toting & apartment-bound. this type of disconnect happens. or so I have read.)

- assuring an agitated woman at the door that there was definitely NO JAZZ CONCERT GOING ON DOWNSTAIRS no matter what she "heard" or what the "flyer" (?!?) promised.

- momad aka el madmo starting things off with their classic rock guitar meets grand ole opry lady harmonies meets anime superhero antics. I gotta hand it to them. drummer aside, el madmo & maddie madmo kept their pris from blade runner outfits on all night & somehow managed not to get violated by the entire male population of the delancey. like daryl hannah, they must know how to kickbox.

- seeing horatio sanz standing by the door. what the...?

- kickstart & their sweaty rock & roll spectacle of veins a'bulgin', fake blood sporting pogo induction. I should clarify that I don't pogo but kickstart makes me. I should also clarify that while I like to butcher the english language, I do have a college education. & yes, I chose my school 'cause it had no math requirement. what of it?

- the bratty girl punk of lowell's fenwick. smokin' in the girls room fun.

- going upstairs & seeing horatio sanz sitting at the bar surrounded by attractive women. what the...? the sequel.

- NOT running up to sanz & punching him in the face &/or screaming "CHILE POWER!"

- the indie dance rock awesomeness of up the empire. love, love, love those drums. I'm gonna have to steal the monkey's copy of their cd.

- showing 1/2 of takka takka*, who are to play the next BYP party, that I'm the sort of person that a) sneaks up on attractive ladies & slaps their behinds, b) quasi-stalks comedy performers of chilean descent, c) calls successful musicians "cocksuckers" to their face if they're rude to my boyfriend regardless of whether their ep was the only thing I listened to for months & d) can keep mum regarding secret shows UNLESS it's the fall, in which case, I will tell everyone I've ever met in MY ENTIRE LIFE that mark e. smith's playing at my house, my house.

in short, muy profesional, me!

- the mind & sax blowing power of cholo. was that a morphine cover I heard? or had my brain finally caved in?

- hearing closer by nine inch nails (courtesy of dj rob holmes.) doing the robot. realizing that another girl was also doing the robot across the room. feeling silly & sheepish as a result. but not enough to stop actually doing it.

- discovering that someone had lifted my ipod from my time out ny bag which I had stupidly, stupidly left unattended by the free red velvet cupcakes. yes, someone thought that the scratched up little monkey jr given to me by j, clad in a white leather case with a "D" on it specially made for me by tina, was free as well. my little gadget with all my mix playlists that don't correspond to itunes. with all my 10,000-something songs. including those by teena marie & the monks & plasticina mosh. o person who found it/took it/whatever, my ipod is sickly & needs to come back to me. I am not rich, I have no savings account, but I will offer a cash reward. please return? contact me through soft communication. all is forgiven.

if anyone was at BYP & somehow came across this item, or heard of someone who did, please, please, please write me!

- afterwards, finally getting home & thinking about our next BYP show. hmmm...time to get to work.

you will be there, yes? june 20? good.

love, d

PS special M.V.A.M. (most valuable audience member) awards go to kristie song corporation & marts emma la reina for coming early, going to another engagement, & then returning for more. you ladies are fantabulous!

* if the other half of takka takka are as charming & funny as those two, I may become their deadhead, eh takkahead.

** other fine moments in dj-ing: matt earfarm rocking the absolutely 6.6.06 (the 0 is silent) appropriate iron maiden selection, number of the beast. read his BYP wrap-up here. dj mojo playing obstacle 1 by interpol which always makes me howl in appreciation every time that paul banks does the falsetto "she puts the weeeiiiight" at the end. repeat til fade.

8 Comments:

Blogger Tavie said...

Wait - woah -- HORATIO SANZ STOLE YOUR IPOD.

9:47 PM, June 08, 2006  
Blogger Matt said...

i'm sorry to hear about your ipod, that's awful. thanks though for the write-up about the rest of the night which i wasn't able to stick around for. can't wait for #2.

10:31 AM, June 09, 2006  
Blogger Mike said...

Sorry to hear that your iPod was stolen. I, too, blame Sanz. Or maybe Norah Jones.

10:37 AM, June 09, 2006  
Blogger d said...

3 things.

1. just because chileans have an a reputation for international thievery does not mean sanz took little monkey jr. besides, he was too busy being the mack up at the bar.

2. everyone was complimenting my hair that night! maybe my perma-migraines are doing something to my follicles. there is a silver lining!

3. who is norah jones?

love, d

10:51 AM, June 09, 2006  
Blogger Matt said...

be honest. your ipod was made up of 85% norah jones songs and 15% horatio sanz hilarity. they found this out and they're somewhere right now listening to it together all super flattered.

11:35 AM, June 09, 2006  
Blogger d said...

HUSH YOUR MOUTH MATT!

11:44 AM, June 09, 2006  
Blogger Mike said...

Ooops. I mean the lead singer of Momad.

11:45 AM, June 09, 2006  
Blogger d said...

that's maddie to you buster.

11:48 AM, June 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home