6.06.2006

Hell Awaits

In honor of today, the metalest of all days, I'd like to turn your attention to this.

And I'd like to tell a little story about the last time I saw Slayer. (Yep, I've seen them more than once. They rule.) It was about a year and a half ago, Roseland Ballroom. The majority of those in attendance were male. Hirsute, denim and leather-clad males. By the time the (awesome) show ended, they were also sweaty, dirty, drunk and bloody. And they all poured out onto 52nd Street at the same time as a very different group of people. The people who had just seen Hairspray: The Musical, which was playing across the street. Seeing the two crowds converge (one with fists in the air, letting out big whoops and yelling "Fucking SLAAAYER!", the other humming, well, whatever songs they sang in Hairspray. Maybe they were doing the Madison? I don't know.) was one of the best culture clashes I've ever seen.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger d said...

another great idea for a mash-up! I don't know which songs though...I'm no hairspray person.

dude, tommy is chileno! that is why depite my general aversion to metal, I gotta love slayer.

11:37 AM, June 06, 2006  
Blogger therese said...

They really are amazing to witness. It's unrelenting. An unrelenting metal attack. And I have never seen such audience devotion.

As far as songs go- I'm partial to Angel of Death, but Seasons in the Abyss is a good one to start with, it's a bit more melodic than most of their songs. As melodic as Slayer gets, that is.

12:40 PM, June 06, 2006  
Blogger Tavie said...

Hairspray is GREAT. :P

Not the Madison, more like the Twist.

3:13 PM, June 06, 2006  
Blogger d said...

you should help therese with that slayer/hairspray mash-up concept.

3:15 PM, June 06, 2006  
Blogger therese said...

They did the Madison in the movie (It's Madison time! Big strong line!), it was the only thing I could remember when I posted. Though now I'm recalling Ricki Lake doing something called the Bug. And Debbie Harry with a bomb in her beehive...

3:19 PM, June 06, 2006  
Blogger Tavie said...

Oh gross, I remember now, and Sonny Bono as her husband.

I actually prefer the musical, although the movie is the only John Waters film I can stomach.

The musical is just fun.

Now... what's a Slayer?

7:55 PM, June 06, 2006  
Blogger d said...

ah, therese, you better answer this one.

11:52 AM, June 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home