6.13.2006

I only wanted 2 be some kind of friend

dear friends,

a little light on the music this week. been busy hunting bands & trying to convince them I'm not mentally ill but a genuine BYP emissary. harder than you'd think!

1. went to the brooklyn botanic gardens last weekend rather late in the day, since the monkey & I are often tardy & discovered that besides being beautiful, serene, verdant, etc..., the place is crawling with BUNNIES! that's right, fluffy & hoppity, little white tails & all. j suggested that perhaps they brought a few in for ambience & things just got out of control, as they are wont to do with rabbits.

the baby ones are maaad slow, so if you're looking to nab one, head on out to the greens.

2. finished haruki murakami's* underground, an oral history account of the sarin gas attacks on the tokyo subways in 1995. spent most of the weekend bumming people out at parties with all I learned from the book. I was told that the standard visual was me chatting & a semi-circle of folks looking disturbed & queasy. I am a party winner!

you should read it. the one on one interviews with the various survivors reveal a great deal about japanese society as a whole. that reminds me...there's a movie called eureka by filmmaker shinji aoyama that was inspired by that event. the film itself deals with the aftermath of a random, traumatic incident (in this case, a bus hijacking) on the survivors. I've been trying to find this film forever. if anyone owns a bootleg...let me know!

3. I wrote this thing up about prince rogers nelson last week when blogger was malfunctioning & lost it all. this is the short version: june 7 was the man's birthday. & while this lilliputian dynamo did not celebrate it, don't mean you can't (albeit, belatedly)

purple rain (live)



while my guitar gently weeps (yes, that is tom petty & jeff lynne. in a true "wait for it, wait for it" moment, prince, resplendent in red fedora & matching shirt, comes in at the end & RIPS it up on the final solo)



what can I say? I heart prince.

love, d

* I've been on a murakami kick ever since j made me read the wind up bird chronicle. apparently tunng has a song called the wind up bird...I wonder if there is any connection? anywho, I thought it might be interesting to make "a book mix"...perhaps a project for the soft communication mix exchange?

other prince songs to seek: delirious, computer blue, take me with u, the cross, sign 'o' the times, starfish & coffee, sometimes it snows in april, alphabet st, when u were mine, if I was your girlfriend, when doves cry, I could never take the place of your man, soft & wet, gett off, hot thing

10 Comments:

Blogger therese said...

I, too, heart Prince. And apparently so does the guitar-playing moppet behind Tom Petty in that clip. Is it Conor Oberst? Could be, but I am too old & cranky to care about Bright Eyes. Whoever he is, he looks absolutely delighted to be there.

3:30 PM, June 13, 2006  
Blogger d said...

the moppet is dhani harrison, george harrison's son. he's a cutie & half latin too (I keep a hispano-roster).

3:35 PM, June 13, 2006  
Blogger d said...

chris + prince 4evah. that would make an interesting collaboration. maybe elr should cover the man.

oooh, I was looking for that one & I couldn't find it. wanna trade?

3:38 PM, June 13, 2006  
Blogger tina said...

i would like to do a book mix!

4:53 PM, June 14, 2006  
Blogger d said...

we can all do a different book. I'll do wind up bird.

5:18 PM, June 14, 2006  
Blogger Tavie said...

I can't think of one song about sitting in the bottom of a well.

11:27 PM, June 14, 2006  
Blogger d said...

neither can I, though there are plenty that can make me feel like I'm at the bottom of a well.

you should do half blood prince. I can totally see snape being represented by stephin merritt.

10:08 AM, June 15, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

i've read excerpts from that murakami book somewhere as well (or maybe heard a reading of it). I remember you reading it on the path train out to hoboken, where we attended a party at which i too unleashed my usual bummer conversation - the one that starts when somebody asks me what i do for a living and i talk to them about the holocaust.

2:16 PM, June 15, 2006  
Blogger Kirsten said...

I loved Underground! My personal favorite Murakami so far has been Kafka on the Shore though Wild Sheep Chase wasn't bad. I almost got through all of Wind Up Bird but had to put it down midway due to workload and just never picked it up again.

You can get that EUREKA DVD bootlegged on Ebay for $3.99.

1:09 PM, June 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanna know why the hell Jeff Lynne doesn't get respect. I had the ELO box set in 6th grade. 'Nuff said.

What is with the cap tho. Seriously.

12:26 AM, July 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home