9.05.2007

I don't care where we go, I don't care what we do

Dear friends,



No, that is not a stop light. I showed The Monkey a photo that looked exactly this and shouted excitedly, "It's the MOON! When it rises from the sea it's RED! And ENORMOUS! It comes outta the water! YOU GOTTA SEE IT!!!" He's used to my squeals about random things. It's a childhood habit I've never outgrown.

We went to a place called Beach Haven for Labor Day weekend and stayed at the ominously named Jolly Roger Motel, which wound up being nicer than expected, not a pirate in sight. The plan was to relax and catch that rising moon at some point. My mom asked me what we did all weekend. I told her we talked, read, and stood in the crashing, shell-strewn surf. We ate great food that was definitely bad for us. We tried to get to the tip of the island, to better inspect Atlantic City in the distance but turned back when it became apparent that it was further away than it looked. By the time we got to Sunday, my mind was empty, my shoulders slack and I was barely thinking. Which is why I didn't think it odd that he was carrying around his bag everywhere we went. And also why I completely forgot the English language when, on that darkened beach at 10:23 pm*, a few moments after the red streetlight made its first bright appearance to our left, J asked me to marry him.

I know he said some things, I missed them all. I think I laughed for five minutes straight until a rogue wave came out of nowhere and doused our feet. He caught me by surprise; he's the only one who does.

I think this song sums it up nicely.

Take Me With U/Prince and the Revolution (mp3)

Buy Music from the Motion Picture "Purple Rain" by Prince and the Revolution

I played it in the car as we drove into town and sang along to Wendy's (or is it Lisa's?) part with WAY too much feeling. I don't think I've 100% sold him yet on the genius of His Purple Majesty but I'm gonna keep trying. I think he'll come around.

Love, D

PS This is a better photo of our lunar friend.

* There were conflicting moonrise times in the newspapers. Yes, I checked before we went out.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't know you, obviously. but congratulations. and what a great song to get engaged to. it's been in my mind a lot lately. i just took a long romantic weekend with my girlfriend, and we both had the chorus "just take me with you" stuck in our heads all weekend - and neither of us could remember for the life of us where it was from, until we got home and googled it. phew... thank god for google... and his purple majesty.
- joshua

7:04 PM, September 05, 2007  
Blogger Tavie said...

Is so beautiful, is to cry.

9:05 PM, September 05, 2007  
Blogger therese said...

Congratulations!!!!! I agree with Joshua, a great song for a great moment. And Beach Haven is a great setting for it. Wheee!!!!

1:41 PM, September 06, 2007  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Many Japanese dudes make a lot of sound effects ya know, to replace the eloquence of extreme emotions. Having been on the receiving end of some, they have taken my brain hostage and leave me with little more capacity to react to this heinously joyous news other than to softly breathe "Waaaaaaaaaai!" like a birthday or a pretty view.

How wonderful!

8:37 PM, September 08, 2007  
Blogger Mike said...

That's wonderful, D! Congratulations to you both.

I had relatives with a house in Beach Haven, so I have fond memories of summer weekends and trips to the mini golf course and waterslide.

10:30 AM, September 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home