11.03.2006

Trees surround me

Dear friends,

1. I spent my yesterday whimpering from my couch and getting bitten by mosquitoes. Mosquitoes! In November! Our citronella candle is not doing the job. SO not.

2. Oh Lost, wtf? (SKIP IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN IT) Should we expect the producers to kill off every character played by DUI-nabbin' actor? (Apparently taxis are hard to come by in that area of Hawaii) Methinks that Eko's statement to Locke and Co. regarding Smokey, the black killer cloud, is really the producer's way of letting the actors know what's up should they misbehave. You're next indeed. Thespians: next time you go out for a nightcap, be sure to hire a driver.

3. Tonight, I'm gonna slime my way over to see A Sunny Day in Glasgow at the Crackers United presents Friction showcase at Sin-e. You know in cartoons when people's eyes go all psychedelic and turn into spirals? That's what the Sunny Day crew does to me with their layered waves of reverb and distant MBV-style lady vocals. I've had bad luck when it comes to catching them so I can't wait to finally hear those songs in person.

Afterwards, CMJ gods willing, I'm gonna run over to see The Big Sleep at Pianos so I can finally catch an entire set. If I don't get in, I'll enjoy the utter crappiness of weekend F train service and head on home.

4. Speaking of A Sunny Day in Glasgow, their song, Laughter (Victims) is a perfect tune to daydream to in a car. The guitar reminds me of R.E.M.'s Catapult but rather than sounding like homage or theft, it's more like the mermaid response to that song, lyrical indecipherability and all. The sound of beautiful creatures, shimmering underwater, beckoning you into the depths. You can't help but go under.

Laughter (Victims)/A Sunny Day in Glasgow (yousendit download)

With thanks to Jeff K (who wrote an inventive haiku review of The Knife show at Webster Hall here) for emailing me the file since I didn't have it on my work computer.

5. If you have a CMJ badge, like to attend panels and ask things like "What's a BLOG?," "Do they eat people?" and "Can I catch it?," then you should attend the 'How Much Clout Do Bloggers Have?' panel and be enlightened by smart folks. At the Stanley H. Kaplan penthouse on Saturday, November 4th, 3:45 PM. I'll see you there.

Have a good weekend!

Love, D

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy said...

By the way, this post kind of gives away the secrets of the next post. Or does it????

1:08 PM, November 10, 2006  
Blogger d said...

uh...I don't know what you're talking about.

1:14 PM, November 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home