6.27.2006

when the bullet hits the bone

dear friends,

1. favorite videos from childhood, part one

‘cause loving videos means never having to say you’re sorry, I would like to present this favorite. weirdly enough, I wasn’t familiar with golden earring’s radar love until recently but I can tell you this video was IT for me when I was a child. there’s dancing! guns! catchy singalong chorus! leg revealing lady outfits! (look, I was a pervy kid) in short, everything a young d could hope for. enjoy! & don’t be a hatah. ‘cause if you are, be warned, there’s worse to come…

twilight zone/golden earring



2. choosing songs to play at beg yr pardon #3 this thursday, 6.29

yes, there’s a lot going that night. stolen transmission looks funtastic*. earfarm presents will land like that awesome p-funk spaceship at sin-e & rock your growing ears with the likes of the secret life of sofia & the isles. & then there’s us, the beg yr pardon quartet taking over club midway with some old favorites, some new favorites, more tinalicious brownies & something that could potentially burst into flames right in yo’ face.

I am, of course, referring to my dj-ing debut (still no dj name) in the latter part of that evening which will be a tag team debut no less since the formidable dj business will be there to volley. GULP! think of it this way, if this tag team dj-ing were a copa mundial match, it would be something like trinidad vs brazil & I’m trinidad. & they didn't even play each other! (& yes, I am a total world cup fanatic. I am latin american, I was programmed at birth to become a sweet & tender futbol hooligan every four years.)

anywho, I already told travis that I am aiming for the people pleasing old familiars. with that in mind, if you’d like to request anything that you might wanna hear once you’ve had a few & are feelin’ sassy, NOW is the time to do it ‘cause that night, I will probably be drunk & nervous & will have completely forgotten the english language. send your requests to the comments field. I promise to try my best to squeeze said selections into the mix.

3. repeating myself, because I can. repeat myself. repeat myself. see?

j got me one of those song a day desk calendars & today’s song is robert wyatt’s cover of chic’s at last I am free**. back when I used to have time to write long examinations of why I liked stuff, ah those were heady days, I wrote this. read it if you never got to the first time, there’s sentences!

love, d

video to seek: twilight zone/golden earring

artist to seek (redux): robert wyatt

*I think ultragrrrl is aces. because anyone who seems to have such a glamorous, action packed tastemakin’ life but somehow manages to wax rhapsodic about getting drawn into john vanderslice videos at 3am & is also goofy enough to post photos of their cat on the toilet (scroll down) is my kind of person.

**I also wrote about a gorgeous cover of this cover (is that meta?) here. I love myself, word.

2 Comments:

Blogger d said...

ah. no can do. don't own any drama rama. in fact I'd never even heard of them until it came up on subinev (I think?) some months ago. no! actually it was great cover band.

5:45 PM, June 27, 2006  
Blogger d said...

you want color me badd!!?? dude, why do you keep asking for stuff you know I don't have!

(runs off & weeps)

I have buffalo stance & pump up the volume on retainer in case there's a dance floor emergency.

1:52 PM, June 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home