4.24.2006

are we are not men?

dear friends,

been fighting (with one arm tied behind my back) a sinus infection all week. damn you pollens! damn you weakened immune system! went to r&r (rare) on saturday & discovered the following things:

1. rare used to be a place called the cooler where sonic youth (follow the venue link) & others once played secret shows back in the late 90's. I had no idea. intriguing in a small "hmmm," finger on chin kinda way.

2. irina yalkowsky, the lead guitarist for the soft explosions is one hot shit musician. I mean it - DANG! I was watching her like a fifth avenue hawk as she played solo after solo marked with dexterous precision & taste. a tasteful solo? surely not? but yes! she wasn't there to bash her shredding skills over everybody's head. each ringing note served a purpose within the soft explosions' verve-like pop compositions. a definite must see & hear for those that secretly read guitar magazine & the people that love them.

3. contributor bryan texted me that guns 'n' roses were playing there at 2AM. judging from the seriously cleavaged & bottle service swilling crowd that started piling in after the bands, I thought this might be entirely possible. but alas, I don't think axl & co. really came. & I owe the monkey a quarter. what can I say? I'm a cheap gambler as well as a cheap drinker.

I ripped this off from contributor mike's post. I added a couple more questions, I could not resist:

magic 8 ball playlist!

put your music player on shuffle.
press forward for each question.
use the song title as the answer to the question even if it doesn’t make sense.

1. how am I feeling today? "wild deer at dawn" diane cluck
2. will I get far in life? "the protagonist realizes what he must do in the middle of downtown traffic" the most serene republic
3. how do my friends see me? "I thought you were my boyfriend" the magnetic fields (huh??? my friends see me as awesome gay techno? I guess that's pretty cool)
4. where will I get married? "dancing shoes" arctic monkeys
5. what is my best friend? "groupmegroup" liquid liquid
6. what is the story of my life? "major leagues (demo)" pavement
7. what was high school like? "cortez the killer" built to spill (hmmm...like an indie rock band covering a legend apparently)
8. how can I get ahead in life? "plastic passion" the cure (through the use of credit cards?)
9. what is the best thing about me? "you tear me up" the buzzcocks (ha ha ha, I'm a tiger)
10. what is today going to be like? "she lives in my lap" outkast
11. what's in store for this week? "the ghost" scarlet fever school (I take it this means going la la la, not haunting)
12. what is in store for this weekend? "cars" gary numan (actually, that's true)
13. what song describes my parents? "half the world away" oasis (it's downright spooky)
14. to describe my grandparents? "wake up" the arcade fire
15. how is my life going? "dance commander" electric six (su-weet!)
16. what song will they play at my funeral? "back in black" ac/dc (not a bad idea, actually)
17. how does the world see me? "brilliant mistake" elvis costello (nice.)
18. will I have a happy life? "misty water" the kinks
19. what do my friends really think of me? "don't think twice, it's all right" john martyn
20. do people secretly lust after me? "hot boyz" missy "misdemeanor" elliott (that's awesome & totally not true.)
21. how can I make myself happy? "thinking it over" cody chesnutt
22. what should I do with my life? "I'll be your mirror" the velvet underground
23. will I ever have children? "diagonal girl" bearsuit
24. what is some good advice for me? "the scene is dead" we are scientists
25. how will I be remembered? "requiem op. 48 - pie jesu" gabriel faure
26. what is my signature dancing song? "sparta #2" the fall
27. what is my current theme song? "the goldheart mountaintop queen directory" guided by voices
28. what does everyone else think my current theme song is? "let it bleed" the rolling stones
29. what type of women do I like? "love vigilantes" new order
30. what type of men do I like? "jocko homo" devo (EXCELLENT)

o silent contributors, feel free to post your own magic eightball playlist so we can all enjoy the fact that you have michael macdonald songs on your ipod. ok, maybe that's just me. I blame warren g & nate dogg. they gots to regulate.

love, d

6 Comments:

Blogger tina said...

I shall do this on my way to SB tonight.

25. how will I be remembered? "requiem op. 48 - pie jesu" gabriel faure

You have Faure's requiem?! Can I get a copy!? Just tell me what I have to do.

3:35 PM, April 24, 2006  
Blogger d said...

I bought it off itunes! you don't have to do nothing baby. I'll get it to ya.

4:09 PM, April 24, 2006  
Blogger Mike said...

allow me to slip into my increasingly common old-codger tone for a second: the cooler did have some legendary bills, but i HATED going there. poor sound, poor sight lines, bad ventilation, bad attitude even for NYC. it was kind of my local (well, i lived 10 blocks north), but hardly ever went. i don't know what rare's like, though.

7:28 PM, April 24, 2006  
Blogger d said...

sounds exactly the same. I couldn't see anything until I sat on some seats. at one point I was standing behind a woman who was 6'5" or something. I pretended I was her child.

as for the attitude, there's another nyc venue who takes that special prize.

11:39 PM, April 24, 2006  
Blogger d said...

PS & mike, until you start telling the "you have it easy, in my day..." story, you're not a codger.

11:41 PM, April 24, 2006  
Blogger Mike said...

oh, i've done that already when discussing bloggers v. print zines. it's mostly a written persona, though.

1:54 PM, April 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home