4.14.2006

there was something so pleasant about that place

dear friends,

I had the day off for good friday. I only did the following things: picked off the bacon in my egg sandwich in honor of the one day a year when I do what mi abuelita made me promise to do (not eat meat on good friday*). wondered if eggs count. drank tons of coffee. trolled the internet looking for music. popped benadryl. put off going to the supermarket because I am lazy. smarted over the fact that the tape I used to tape lost ran out before the end so I have no idea if the fake pirates come back. & yes, I still use VHS tapes. I represent people who can't catch up & I feel okay with that.

1. thanks to the village indian post with its cover-lure, I actually listened to crazy by gnarls barkley. I'd seen the parody pictures & somehow went into a state of not caring very much. not 'cause I don't like dangermouse or cee-lo or find said photos hilarious, but because I tend to think anything with that much publicity don't need my ears. NOW I'll say it once, I'll say it twice, I'm an arbitrary idiotic sorta person & sometimes when it comes to music, I'm my own worst enemy & I'm sorry I resisted. don't be like me, go hear it now.

2. the redcoats are coming! list henry darger and rosemary's baby as influences. I was skeptical of this description at first. I got this odd visual of appendage sporting little blonde girls on horses fighting ruth gordon & satan & could not imagine the kind of sounds that would accompany this unholy spectacle. oddly enough, their song crown heights (available for listening on their my space page) sounds about right. creepy christmas carol keyboard line with affectless young girl voices hovering over it; it's exactly the kind of music that announces ritualized murder in films. all quick cuts, slow stabs & saturated reds. definitely worth a listen.

the redcoats are coming! are playing tonight, friday, april 14 at the brooklyn lyceum at 4th avenue & union (take the r/m to union, leaves you right in front). it is a common ground collective benefit & admission is $10. the incomparably unsettling (& when I say unsettling, I mean haunt your days with her gorgeous songs) diane cluck starts things off at 7:45. local peeps take note.

love, d

songs to seek: crazy/gnarls barkley, crown heights/the redcoats are coming!

* I would think that actually going to church would be more important. then again, this was mi abuelita, which means she too must have placed way too much importance on minor details.

3 Comments:

Blogger tina said...

So miss, how was Diane Cluck?

4:08 PM, April 17, 2006  
Blogger Tavie said...

Please tell me you don't STILL not-know what happens at the end of the episode because it's the most important part.

9:54 PM, April 17, 2006  
Blogger liz o. said...

D,
I habitually abstain from meat on Good Friday too and I only go to church for weddings and funerals (and spend most of my time in the parking lot at that). Sometimes it's the minor details that stick hardest.

11:34 PM, April 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home