11.28.2007

That's too easy

Dear friends,

I've never paid attention to Stereolab lyrics. I love the band and their music but I remember their songs as impressions, floating polka dots forming a pointilistic portrait; a face, an emotion and a scene. Words would ruin the feeling. My favorite record of theirs, Emperor Tomato Ketchup, is a treasure trove of these moments, from the opening percolating beats of Metronomic Underground to the dreamy, violin sweep of Slow Fast Hazel. I play it around the house while I vacuum. I chirp ba da bap or la la la and everything is lovely like an animated film with singing birds.

Apparently, I went the wrong way here. Upon inspection of a lyric sheet, Stereolab usually aims more political than personal. Oops. The Noise of Carpet is straight confrontation courtesy of a clipped and haughty vocal from Lætitia Sadier. You are complacent, cynical and a bore. Take some responsibility, make some choices and stop blaming your dissatisfaction on others. It's all YOU. Wake up to your life.

The Noise of Carpet/Stereolab (mp3)


Purchase Emperor Tomato Ketchup* by Stereolab.

Love, D

*Seriously. Buy it. This is fantastic album. Someone really ought to pitch it for the 33 1/3 series. Cough, cough, hint, hint.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, they have a reputation for being Marxists. I'd totally pitch this for 33 1/3 but I have no idea how they go about their selection process...although it's not necessarily the first album I'd go with.

4:06 PM, November 28, 2007  
Blogger d said...

I think it's a brilliant and hugely underrated album.

4:19 PM, November 28, 2007  
Blogger therese said...

I really enjoy their mid-90s output- from Mars Audiac Quintet through Dots & Loops. But Emperor Tomato Ketchup is by far my fave.

10:49 AM, November 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You think its underrated? I always thought it was pretty much acknowledged as their magnum opus and one of the best of the 90's. Is that just teenage Spin reading clouding my mind?

11:16 AM, November 29, 2007  
Blogger d said...

Teenage Spin reading definitely. I don't think it's nearly as well known or talked about now as other indie breakout albums of the time.

11:18 AM, November 29, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home