11.21.2007

Cracks the whip deadpan on cue

Dear friends,

Today's selection came from one of the many records I inherited from my cousin Pam who was a Goth for a few years and now listens to Celine Dion. No, I don't get it either. But I digress...Peek-A-Boo is an oddly funky song. I say oddly, because on visuals alone, you don't expect Siouxsie and The Banshees to be so rhythm-based* but they are. Their songs are as driven by Budgie's beats as Siouxsie's shrieks. The music video is great also because Siouxsie, with her lined eyes and Louise Brooks bob, presents such a charismatic visual. She sashays around, her flapper fringe swinging to and fro, projecting this marvelous theatrical power. I love it when she screams about biting into rag dolls, baby! and hitting the floor like it's her version of burning down the house, turning the beat around, and putting the needle on the record when the drumbeats go like this. Only with accordion. SO GOOD.

Peek-A-Boo/Siouxsie and The Banshees (mp3)

Peek-A-Boo/Siouxsie and The Banshees (video)


Photo by Fiona Freund

Purchase Peepshow by Siouxsie and The Banshees.

Love, D

* C'MON. One look at the lady above and I know you expect glacially-paced odes to Bougainvilleas.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember playing this at my college radio station. It came out months before the album and we drove it into the ground.

The b-side, "Catwalk," is a great instrumental with wild stereo pans that makes it excellent headphone music.

12:14 PM, November 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home