10.10.2007

Now that you found it, it's gone

Dear friends,

Confession time. Back in the day, I used to belong to the Radiohead mailing list, an intense little branch called "The Convoy."* Most of the time I lurked, completely bewildered and petrified by the all-around snark, but I stuck around because sometimes the writing was really fabulous. Not just about the Oxford boys but whatever was out at the time. I discovered some wonderful music because of those faceless, weirdly monikered internet voices.

Haven't thought of those guys in years, but I did today when Nude came on. That's a song that's been floating around the Radiohead ether forever it seems. Hadn't wanted to look at the tracklisting for the new record, I'm not one of those people, so I was surprised as anything when it came on. What would the old skool superfans make of the airy and delicate version on In Rainbows? It makes me want to be ten years younger so I could read their thoughts again. I dedicate today's selection to them.


Nude/Radiohead (mp3)

Purchase In Rainbows by Radiohead.

Love, D

PS I wonder if this means Big Boots (Man O War) will finally show up on a record. Hmmm...(drifts off on another nostalgia trip)

* Street Spirit is supposedly about The Convoy. I don't know if I bought it at the time but it was cool to imagine myself as a one of those row-houses.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Man, I was a nerdy Radiohead super fan back in the day, buying all the import singles/ bootlegs I could find (though I wasn't on a mailing list, nerd) and one day my heart just went cold to them. Listened a bit today, and my mind just wandered (though I'm gonna obviouly give it some time. Are you still evangelical about it?

Am or wrong or is the world?

5:28 PM, October 10, 2007  
Blogger d said...

I don't think evangelical is quite the word...but like PJ Harvey and the Malk, I'll buy their releases the day they come out, sound unheard. I KNOW I'm going to find something to like about it. It is absolutely awesome to hear Nude on this record, if only because I feel like I've grown up so much since I first heard it, if that makes any sense? Very familiar and yet changed in beautiful, fitting way.

Wait. Did you just call me a nerd?! You're going DOWN!!!

5:57 PM, October 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the same experience as jeff; from the Bends to Amnesiac, I ate up all the b-sides, soundtrack stuff, and then... meh.
The weird thing is, I similarly lost interest in U2 when All That You Can't Leave Behind came out... but whereas I only bought Hail to the Thief last month, I will still buy new U2 albums a few minutes after they come out. I'm not sure why I lost interest so much more drastically with Radiohead.

11:29 PM, October 10, 2007  
Blogger punk ass g said...

It's very wronge of you to have not thought of your mailing list buddies in so long. You've probably been busy worshipping Satin.

4:07 PM, October 11, 2007  
Blogger punk ass g said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:08 PM, October 11, 2007  
Blogger d said...

Or his nefarious henchman, Cotton.

4:34 PM, October 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home