6.10.2007

SLOW 遅い

The boss (that's J to most of you) is a pretty mellow guy who writes pretty pretty songs. If I had to describe my view of his aesthetic to a stanger I'd mention Elliot Smith with some covert Kobain lurking about the profound edges. Oh yes, he and his lady both sing really well.

Ok, that's out of my system. I only bring it up because I think he'll like what's here.

I kept meaning to see All About Lily Chou Chou. Really, I did. Ever since d told me that my idol had a brief mention in it I had it permanently scarred into my mental back burner. Now I am in Japan and I have yet to see it.

Hey, the air is warm and full of moisture and the nearest rental miles away. Excuses, excuses, I know. But that doesn't mean I haven't been paying attention. Years ago a friend who knew I leapt upon anything that breathed Japanese suggested I listen to SALYU. aka the fictional Lily Chou Chou so I did.

His offering was a collabortaion between hip-hop artist Ilmari x Salyu called Valon. I listened to it for a little while and stopped. Salyu, I decided, did not interest me. Ilmari is a member of RIP SLYME and I am baffled by their music. I did not want to be baffled by Salyu, but I was still trying to wrap my mind around Shiina Ringo's Karuki Zamen Kuri no Hana at the time.

How wrong I was to shun Salyu. I really ought to have seen that movie.

So recently I wised up and got hold of the Lily Chou Chou soundtrack. On it, I found songs that I think the boss should cover someday. Ok, even if he doesn't and even if I am way off the radar (as oft I can be), I am allowed to fantasize. Salyu likes people he likes and likes may overlap.

Her debut single,GLIDE, is a song with a watercolor palette. Elliot Smith composed music in the same vein. It's gray as gentle rain and soothing in a way you don't want to end. Like the boss, it's full of darkness and ether. I wake up with it in my head some days. Her voice has all the velvet charm of UA, though much younger. UA is aged like fine wine and can growl like Joplin given the incilation. Salyu not so much.

Does Redяum not want to be found? I had to search high and low for them. Stupid backwards R. May they all have backwards babies! (I joke, I do) Redяum, however, shouldn't feel the need to hide. For those seeking Japanese music without the squeak, may I offer the Far East anwer to Portishead? Yumi's vocals are mesmerizing. I'm gonna ramble off metaphors now like they were yellow M&Ms: woodsmoke, Vicodin, night sky, burgundy, incense, boot to the head, etc.

James Iha composed the music for a movie about a high school BLUE HEARTS cover band. The track Yasashii Jikan or "Gentle Time" is exactly that, I think. Thanks James Iha, you're better than a long slow drag when it comes to nerves.

Crap, there goes the bell. Gotta go to class.

Care to partake? いかがでしょうか? (There's lyrics and translations for ya too, in case you wanna sing along. You're welcome. ^^)

4 Comments:

Blogger Tavie said...

Oh god, I thought it was gonna be a post about Bruce Springsteen at first...

"The Boss", heh.

11:34 PM, June 11, 2007  
Blogger Kirsten said...

I can't name even one song by him. Besides, that dude ain't my boss.

Out of pure academic curiosity, do you listen to what I post here? You can be honest, I won't shrivel. ^^

12:44 AM, June 12, 2007  
Blogger Tavie said...

I don't listen to anything anyone posts. I'm just here for the company.

3:36 PM, June 12, 2007  
Blogger Kirsten said...

yappari sou da ne.= guess so.

5:42 PM, June 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home