2.12.2006

Songs For your Sadness

Woe.

My Prefecture is poor. So I am out a contract. A tragic week indeed. A slump not cured by booze or cigarettes. Not even Harry Belafonte can shake my sorrow. I have been lying in bed all weekend caring nothing for my being (ie stench) and listening to my plague-stricken comrade tell me of the palette of yellow she's producing. Yuck. Yuck. YUCK!!!

I am heartbroken. I love my job and my students and now I have to leave them for something uncertain. Can I get weepy for sec?

http://hometown.aol.com/Jink246/bratz.jpg

The brat on the left is Ichiro. He handles English like he was born with it and always talks in class. I will miss the little punk and the way he always sticks his hand in his pocket when he speaks to me. He, like most 13 year olds, is obsessed with Harry Potter. So ya know I went out and found "Voldemort Can't Stop the Rock" by Harry and the Potters and burned it just for him.

You don't stand a chance against Gryffindor
We got the best Quidditch Team that the school has seen

Yeah, yeah I'm lame.
The Foo Fighters' "Everlong" matches my shade right now. That and about anything by the Peppers. "I Could Have Lied", for one.

Went to a farewell party at the karaoke joint. Gaijin vs Nihonjn (The US soccer team destroyed Japan in San Francisco, btw. YAPPA! IN YOUR FOOKIN FACE KAWAGUCHI! The ball, that is.)

Let me give three examples of songs that will forever be funny at karaoke:

1) Anything For Love - Meatloaf

Fuck, this song is funny out of karaoke. Let the drunk gaijin unite.

2) We Didn't Start the Fire- Billy Joel

Wanna see the Japanese hurt?

3) Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious- Julie Andrews

Nuff said.

I have noticed a lot of Okinawa floating around. Three of the recent top-selling Japanese pop groups have hailed from the Ryuukan kingdom. HY, Orange Range and Namie Amuro. HY has been labeled "indie". By that I suppose they haven't yet had to back POCKY or some J-drama to sell their craft. I believe it is only a matter of time. Sure they bite from US pop (like most) but they're not above adding a shansin to the chorus. Thanks guys.

As I am a fan of the old skool, Natsukawa Rimi's "Nada Sou Sou" (Stream of Tears) will still make me weep like a goddam child. Oh it's sap pure and simple. No getting around it.

Songs to Seek:

Nada Sou Sou/Natsukawa Rimi, Street Story/HY

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Tavie said...

My poor bunny. Maybe a little Rosey Grier would be appropriate now. "It's All Right to Cry"...

8:23 PM, February 12, 2006  
Blogger Kirsten said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

9:42 AM, February 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home