1.12.2006

waiting for some action

dear friends,

1. in an awesome bit of "wait for it...wait for it", contributor jeremiah has revived lists list, which is his excellent year end re-cap culled from the public i.e. YOU. this is GREAT, because I feel like taking a looooooong break from bombarding people with emails about deadlines. so please ignore my last post. here is his bulletin:

What are your favorite albums of 2005?

I would like for you to participate in a friendly survey.

And it doesn't matter how many you listened to, as long as you liked them. If you listened to a lot of albums that you liked, maybe you'll be able to list 20. Or maybe you only listened to one single album that came out in 2005 -- if you liked it, you should list it. The purpose of the survey is to see what the people I know like, not to force people to list twenty albums when they may have only really liked a few.

I did this last year and it ended up being fun -- and a good way to find out what else we might enjoy. You can check out the results of last year's survey here:

http://listslist.blogspot.com/2005/03/best-albums-of-2004.html

The scoring will be a little different this time around, so please don't go by the rules listed on the site.

There will also be surveys for Movies and TV Programs, but you don't have to participate in all of them.

Below the survey form is a list of albums that came out in 2005. This is not a complete list, so feel free to vote for albums not on the list as long as they were released in the US in 2005. Last year, quite a few people made revisions to their lists as they remembered albums, so this is just a way to remind you of some major releases in hopes of cutting down on revisions and making the tallying go more smoothly. However, if you do want to revise your list, just let me know, and I'll do my best.

Some additional notes:
1. Please do not list EPs. This is for full-length albums only. If you're unsure whether an album you'd like to include is an EP or not, feel free to ask, or just include it and I'll let you know.
2. Imports are tricky. Go ahead and include them, or ask, and we'll figure it out on a case-by-case basis.
3. As of right now, NO RUSH. Take your time, listen to more albums, and I'll let you know when I'd like to start tallying. But if you already know what you'd like to include, feel free to send your list.

Take care,
~ Jeremiah


2. I've been going through a too much music overload. this usually leads me to run & hug my nearest worn old yeller type cd (only without rabies & eh, death) & cling to it as if the 21st century never hit. so you'll excuse me as I ignore the latest wave of blog (descriptive noun used often in early psychology) over (plural proclamation of profession), (slang term for male wake-up excitement) & (what I used to make mixes on). I'll get to these bands eventually, you know? I hate crowds. especially in elevators. with too much perfume. the kind that smells like those pine tree cardboard thingies dangling in cabs, but I digress...

3. speaking of la haine, people hate the strokes because they're, well, the strokes. & skinny guys in studied hipster casual who don't wash their hair & squire very attractive women* are hated. so room on fire didn't immolate my pants but that's ok, 'cause is this it? rocked the freakin' house when it came out. it was short, concise & catchy like the measles, & I loved-ded it. so let's advance a few years, another new record, & words from the wise(masses) say there's no depth. it don't matter to me though. I don't look to these boys for rocket science. I look to them for singalong hooks & tidy guitar solos. & guess what? new single juicebox is a go-go good time. with its surfin spy guitar hook & julian casablancas' clearly heard(!) bellowing about having cities to burn, when it comes on, I immediately start doing that 60's v-fingers to eyes dance. frenetically. without eyeliner! that's advanced shit. don't try this at home without proper training.

4. when I first came to this country at the tender age of 7, my "cover" to get past immigration was saying that me & my auntie were going to disneyworld. by way of nyc? no, really, this is a SHORT visit. anywho, years later, thanks to the kindness of my much loved gringo simian, it's time to fulfill my american destiny & hit the home of el raton mickey & friends. since I've never been, please feel free to recommend your favorite areas.

love, d

song to seek: juicebox/the strokes

* & yes, I count drew, because d secret here: I LOVE DREW B! I would invite her to my sleepover. we'd watch the a&e pride & prejudice & giggle over the inexplicable going for a dip in a ruffly white shirt moment all whilst wearing avocado face masks. seriously, I'd let her see me like that. that's how much I dig her.

9 Comments:

Blogger Tavie said...

You're kidding with number 4, right? I could write a book.

(Trip# 28 is in May, I think. Around Memorial Day. I haven't booked the flight yet but I'm getting ready for it. If I don't go every six months or so at this point, I get Very Sick.)

Anyway, if you have any questions, I have an obscene amount of knowledge.

11:15 PM, January 12, 2006  
Blogger d said...

I'm reading a book about it right now. it looks like disneyworld is made up of expensive restaurants! go figure.

10:35 AM, January 13, 2006  
Blogger Tavie said...

Expensive restaurants and MAGIC.

5:53 PM, January 14, 2006  
Blogger Kirsten said...

HOLYCRAP! You've missed the "Horizons" era!!!
But all is not lost.

Peter Pan ride. Go.

Tom Sawyer's Island. Pretend to get lost.

12:10 AM, January 15, 2006  
Blogger Tavie said...

Oh, they won't have any time for the Magic Kingdom, they're spending their ONE DAY at THE ZOO.

I mean, Animal Kingdom, whatever. Same diff.

2:33 AM, January 15, 2006  
Blogger Kirsten said...

.........


OMG.

Like

WHAT

eva. Park.

1:47 AM, January 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you see the new york mag coverstory on the strokes? the best part was a little photo caption of their ladyfriends, in which one of the girls (not drew) was labeled a 'girlfiend.'

8:27 PM, January 16, 2006  
Blogger d said...

yeah, I saw it at rite aid this weekend on an emergency lightbulb shopping trip. we were trying to figure out why they dressed j casablancas like billie jean video michael jackson on the cover. the girlfriend thing is hilarious. gal pal would've been funnier though.

11:32 AM, January 17, 2006  
Blogger d said...

even better - anonymous gal pal.

11:34 AM, January 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home