2.08.2006

The World Could Show Nothing to Me

Researchers, have I got a job for you! The mission is yours if you choose to accept it.

1) During some routine iTunes organization, hidden in my collection of 8,213 tunes, I found a tune which I, at some point, labeled "The Party's Over" by a band called "Softkore." I have long suspected that after acquiring the tune a couple of years ago, I mislabeled it. My hunch seems to have been correct; I cannot seem to find any record of a band called "Softkore" having recorded a song of this title. So, I am imploring you, devout music fan, to take a listen and let me know if you have any idea which band recorded this song and if its actual title is indeed "The Party's Over."

Note: See THIS site for the song in question's lyrics. The person who runs that site attributes the tune to a band called TV Eyes, but subsequent Google searches have not provided any confirmation of this.

Note #2: The fantastic band Talk Talk released an album with this title in the 1980s, but the song in question is certainly not by Talk Talk; it's by a newer, hipster-y band.

2) I am trying to remember the name of a director and film which includes this very memorable scene: A long shot of a car with a young male passenger, who has a look of terror frozen on his face. As the camera moves closer, the car door opens, water gushes out, and the drowned man collapses on the ground. All I can remember is the film is from the 1960s or 1970s.

Your input is much appreciated, as I am slowly spiraling into lunacy trying to solve the two aforementioned mysteries.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger d said...

jen, I can't get the file to play from my work computer & I don't recognize the film either. I'm not big on horror though, so I've only seen a handful of 60's scare fare (carnival of souls, the haunting, various polanski titles). sorry! maybe contributor liz will recognize the song...

1:15 PM, February 08, 2006  
Blogger liz o. said...

So, like I told D, I don't recognize the song, but it could definitely be TV Eyes. That was a super-hipster Silverlake group who released a single on Emperor Norton before the label went under. Jason Falkner is in the band.

1:37 PM, February 08, 2006  
Blogger Jennifer said...

D, the film is definitely not a horror film; it's more a surrealistic drama, from what I remember. And European. I think.

And Liz - you're right. The lyrics link I provided is definitely from the site of Jason Falkner; at first I thought he was a fan, but now I see he's in the band, hence, the organized collection of lyrics. Thanks so much for clearing this up for me! My iTunes will finally be happy (and accurate).

Now the other mystery - where the hell did I get this song from. Sigh.

2:48 PM, February 08, 2006  
Blogger d said...

well, take out the drowning & make it a beheading & it could be toby dammit by fellini?

2:57 PM, February 08, 2006  
Blogger liz o. said...

Glad I could help. It's one of those instances where being from LA comes in handy. :-)

6:49 PM, February 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Softkore. Old post but I thought I'd clear this up since no one responded.

Softkore was the name Jason Falkner, Roger Manning & Brian Reitzell gave their retro synthpop band before changing the name to TV Eyes. As Softkore they recorded 4 demo songs which were downloadable at one time (years ago). These 4 songs were later rerecorded along with new ones for the Japanese TV Eyes release. IMO, these 4 songs remain the best of the bunch, with some folks preferring the Softkore versions.

3:30 PM, March 22, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home