3.14.2007

Write it on a piece of paper

Dear friends,

I'm slowly but surely chipping away at all the mixes I owe for various birthdays, holidays and other sundry arrangements that are too complicated to get into. Here are some of the selections.

1. Mix Selection One

Friend X is a cackle and finger point type of gal. She also plays a mean, tippy-toes sneaky geeetarr. And no one does sneak like Polly Jean. I saw PJ Harvey do this song on TV dressed in a fuzzy red sweater mini-dress, her wide crimson lips carefully enunciating all the antics of Automatic Slim and his cronies. It certainly didn't sound "pretty" or make me comfortable but I couldn't stop watching.

Here is that performance:

Wang Dang Doodle/PJ Harvey (video)



I love her covers because she always makes them sound like she wrote 'em. Now if anyone has an mp3 of her doing Captain Beefheart's Dropout Boogie, do send it my way.

Wang Dang Doodle/PJ Harvey (mp3)

Buy The Peel Sessions 1991-2004/PJ Harvey

2. Mix Selection Two

Gonna borrow from this old Soft Communication post if you don't mind:

"I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Four Tet remixes. The song is always stripped down to something breathable and organic. And my ears rejoice, because all of a sudden, a smattering of hidden elements come to the foreground. Like in this case: the bell changes that signal the constant mind-shifts of the song's protagonist."

Kieran Hebden aka Four Tet laughs WITH you, never AT you

I just found out belated birthday boy, Friend Y, runs. This track is meant for his weekend jaunts into Prospect Park. I know he likes the cock rock but something tells me this is a good one to listen to on the dash as the sun peekaboos through the trees.

Skttrbrain (Four Tet Remix)/Radiohead (mp3)

Buy Com Lag (2Plus2IsFive) by Radiohead

3. Mix Selection Three

Friend Z is owed a mix CD for every month since last June. Gulp. Don't ask. I've actually made most of them and am now up to February. Naturally, since that month is for lovers and companies that make cash money off of lovers, I thought I'd theme it up a bit. This selection was played for me by The Monkey. I don't think he was trying to set a mood or anything, he just put it on and started getting his work clothes ready for the next day. Somewhere between the aching, shivering strings and Peter Green's lazily sensual vocal, I was ready to take J behind the middle school and get him pregnant*. Now, that's a song that does its job. Word.

Need Your Love So Bad/Fleetwood Mac (mp3)

Before Linds and Stevie, Peter Green WAS Fleetwood Mac. You might be familiar with a little ditty he wrote called Black Magic Woman that was covered by a guitar player so bad ass he didn't even have to sing in the band named after him? Not that Green was a slouch in the playing department. Watch below.

Like It This Way/Fleetwood Mac (Video)



Buy The Best of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac/Fleetwood Mac

Love, D

* I'm contractually required to drop Jordanalia every week. Also: "I believe that vampires are the world's greatest golfers but their curse is that they can never prove it."

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that Four Tet remixes tend to be amazing. Which makes it all the more confusing that his original material always strikes me as being so bland...it's bizarre.

8:39 PM, March 14, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ah, but how far are you into the pile of mixes you have to LISTEN to?

9:47 PM, March 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home