8.03.2007

Nothing but the devil

Dear friends,

Phtttttfffftpah!

This is how I feel right now. I'm procrastinating with iTunes playlists when I should be packing. We're off to a wedding in Florida. That will be nice. But first, the airport. Not so nice.

Speaking of air travel, close to 6? 7? years ago I was on a transatlantic flight and I'd seen the movie, read all the books and boredom drove me to in-flight radio. This song came on and it captured me. I wrote down the name of it in my notebook and swore to find it. Then I waited impatiently for the playlist to finish so it could back to that song and I could enjoy it all over again.

I've been searching for Maloyan Devil* for so long now that I had forgotten the sound of it completely, and just remembered the feeling of listening to it. Finally found the CD last week and when the song came on, I immediately had this ridiculous giggle-laugh-wtf? response. It turns out that Maloyan Devil is a cover (of sorts) of Devil Got My Woman by Skip James**, another song I love but discovered long after that flight. This version is all bell-like strumming and guitar shimmer. It's still the Blues, but in Technicolor. Turn the song up loud and get lost in the bright, shifting gyroscope.

Maloyan Devil/Djeli Moussa Diawara & Bob Brozman

Buy Ocean Blues

Love, D

* They mislabeled it as Malian Devil, as you can imagine this affected my search rather negatively.

** Otherwise known as that song in Ghost World that Thora Birch's Enid falls in love with.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey man,
just read your post. I've got to know this amasing song in a african blues collection and I fully understand the feeling the song transfer. so I searched the net for refrences to the song and got here. anyway just want to say a great song.

8:43 AM, September 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home