11.27.2006

It seems to end and then it seems to start

Dear friends,

Woke up today to the sound of the TV alarm and the volume was low enough that all the terrible news of the day was reduced to a warm sususususurrrru-sounding murmur. Ah, Mondays after a long weekend. Way more brutal than your regular Mondays. You have to be a warrior to survive them.

This song sounds like my brain right now, gradually focusing.

I Dreamed We Fell Apart/Memphis (YouSendIt Download)

I'm sure Torquil Cambell (of Stars) and Chris Dumont have some special reason for naming their project Memphis. This is likely to remain an inside joke since I don't get the reference at all. When I think of Memphis, I think of Sun records and kicking up dust. Their sound is more like Northern city in winter. Snowscapes and the lingering memory of ghosts as you wrap your coat around you a little bit tighter and scrunch up your face at the wind. Actually, listening to this song has the same effect as walking in the cold; it numbs you until every sound that greets your ears carries a vague hum. And you enter your home, put your bags down and sit at the kitchen table defrosting and then, just like that, it's gone.

Buy A Little Place in the Wilderness by Memphis.

Love, D

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I think of Memphis I think of my first guitar. Memphis is/was the name of a guitar company that makes/made really shitty guitars. My first guitar was a 25 dollar flea market Memphis. Come to think about it, a lot of my friends started out on crappy hand me down Memphis guitars.

6:16 PM, November 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home