6.17.2005

say the words that I can't say

dear friends,

the monkey fixed my ipod, little monkey jr*, this past weekend. yay! this time I promise not to overheat it with 5 trillion songs. I will only keep the songs I want to hear while being driven around florida because when I go down to that sunny, southermost state, I would like to avoid all their country stations. ah, vacation. I need you. be my friend?

1. I've ranted about nouvelle vague before in this post. I was sad to miss them when they came to nyc. really, really sad actually 'cause I had the feeling they would lift my spirits from what was becoming a difficult period of crippledom**. now I'm feeling much better thanks to godknowswhat (acupuncture? swimming? summer? you?) & as if to congratulate me on that, KCRW just aired the band's recent, spirited live session. to watch or listen to it go here. their version of new order's bizarre love triangle (not on their record!) is so juicy with green mango goodness that boy, do I wish I had the mad internet skillz to record it & play it over & over & over & over again until I overdose. (WARNING: not so subtle attempt to solicit information from the soft communication readership. ahem.)

2. I first heard architecture in helsinki on bbc radio a while back. I dutifully wrote it down on my desk pad & promptly forgot to write 'em up. now I want to slap myself in the face 'cause I just missed their show at northsix 'cause I didn't even know they were playing & they're from new zealand or something & what the hell! & I'll never have that recipe again! AGAIN! WAAAAAH!

basically, I suck. but they don't. featuring a pussywillow-voiced girl, a boy who sounds like he's singing on his tippy-toes & charmingly eclectic arrangements (indie guitars, strings, gregorian monk sounds, happy keyboards, clapping, disco sitars!) these songs are just the right minty fresh accessories to a bright summer day. neverevereverdid starts like big ben, followed by a ghostly operatic woman singing over a theremin. enter tuba. yes. you read that right. towards the end after a few more changes, it starts to remind me of the clash's straight to hell, but being that it sounds NOTHING like it, in that it's not even remotely serious for one, you'll have to tell me why I feel this way. for the pretty la la girl vocals with glockenspiel seek out souvenirs. for twee that out-twees any skinny lad in a cardy & 50's specs, seek out the owls go. seriously, it makes belle & sebastian sound like gwar.

like my beloved bearsuit but with a shiny coat of cherry red varnish, this band is patiently waiting to be loved by you. so love them. & then smack me for not telling you about them sooner.

3. contributor phil once wrote about the coup here, I just found out that their upcoming album will feature a cameo by none other than billy bragg. this is the man that wisely left some indian takeout with his demo for john peel. peelie played it that night. humorous, political & romantic, bragg has written many a lovely ballad as well. I recommend the only one because I love the way he sings "kiss me or would you rather/live in a land where the soap don't lather/& oh..." & he holds that oh as a cello shadows it underneath like a gymnast's ribbon & it says everything the song's been trying to say prior.

4. oh pete doherty. you're so very wrecked. I followed your travails in the tabloids before I ever even HEARD your old band the libertines. breaking into your band member's flat & stealing his stuff? public crack smoking? flat, off beat singing? writing a vh1 piano ballad that doesn't stink with a junk crony named wolfman for quick cash? releasing a single called fuck forever with your new band baby shambles thus guaranteeing it will never play outside blightly? having read bits & pieces of your teenage fanzines, you're clearly no dummy. ever thought about going back to live with mum & gluing stuff on paper again? hmmm? just for the heck of it? I know. life is complicated.

5. I have an old dusty tape of the go-betweens' 16 lover's lane. I believe I overplayed it to the point of transparency. one of the songs on it, devil's eye, an acoustic number with plentiful guitar string squeak noise, which murmurs about love in the face of saying goodbye, everyday trouble & heck, just plain old love in all its cheese & splendor, was a particular favorite of mine. even though my notions of love back then were purely based on movies, what was being said there sounded like something tender & true.

I'm ashamed to say I've neglected to keep up with their current output but I'd love to start now, if someone can tell me what to hear...

love, d

PS for those who might be interested I will be posting the mystery artists behind the covers on my mix today over at soft communication mix exchange. I will be putting up jenny p's playlist tomorrow. please visit us & comment.

* the monkey gave me little monkey for my birthday last year. it died. it was then replaced with little monkey jr.

** I have a disease. it is this. I mention it so there's no confusion when I occasionally refer to my part-time gimpitude.

songs to seek: bizarre love triangle/nouvelle vague (kcrw live session), neverevereverdid/architecture in helsinki, souvenirs/architecture in helsinki, the owls go/architecture in helsinki, the only one/billy bragg, for lovers/pete doherty & wolfman, the devil's eye/the go-betweens

11 Comments:

Blogger mary said...

1. there is a very juicy profile of pete doherty in the new vanity fair (the one with nicole kidman on the cover). he and kate moss are going to have very beautiful damaged children.

2. I'd meant to check out architecture in helskinki a while ago, too, and forgot, too. thanks for the reminder. I like bands with tubas. bryan likes to make fun of me for being "twee."

11:16 AM, June 17, 2005  
Blogger d said...

thanks for responding. you are very nice to me.

1. pete doherty's zine writing was awesome! it reads like a teenager with a thesaurus trying to sound like an edwardian gent. you should check it out. behind the pallid junkie persona, he's a well read sort into major flights of fancy.

2. nothing wrong with twee. in person, I'm not twee. but the portion of my brain that has gauzy vistas of pegasi & bluebells definitely is. & it needs a soundtrack.

11:50 AM, June 17, 2005  
Blogger mary said...

yes exactly! twee is a state of mind, not a personality trait. though I did spend many years wearing stripey shirts and trying to make the outside match the inside, to little or no avail.

and since you recommend it, I will investigate this doherty character further. the vf article just makes him sound like a total wanker, but that's what vf is supposed to do (unless you are nicole kidman, in which case ingrid sischy is 110% sure you are the second coming of christ, only a lot prettier).

2:03 PM, June 17, 2005  
Blogger d said...

I can't pull off trends. that's why I'll never be part of a scene. le sigh.

I have no doubt doherty is a wanker in the sense that anyone with his gifts should not be setting his house on fire & watching it burn.

ms sischy is very interesting to me. she's the queen of academic ass kissing disguising itself as journalism. I think she's smart alright but it's a mystery to me why she's trusted by any readership.

2:25 PM, June 17, 2005  
Blogger mary said...

I guess she has the lingering warhol-stamp-of-approval 'cause of interview? I dunno. she's definitely an odd duck.

6:17 PM, June 17, 2005  
Blogger Tavie said...

What's a twee?

7:08 PM, June 18, 2005  
Blogger Jeremy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:13 AM, June 19, 2005  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Listen to just about anything by Belle & Sebastian - that's twee.

11:14 AM, June 19, 2005  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Twee sounds like a kind marsupial.

4:29 PM, June 19, 2005  
Blogger d said...

tavie, twee is kinda like the sound of cuteness. & a vague, asexual feyness. & pastel colors & cardigans. & real pretty girls in vintage dresses & skinny, sensitive guys in glasses. go & listen to belle & sebastians "get me away from here I'm dying" (I hope this link works) here. that would be the sound of twee in motion.

I'm not sure what the origins of twee are exactly but I'm sure contributor mary might have a better idea...

10:55 AM, June 20, 2005  
Blogger Tavie said...

Heh heh, I have 2 or 3 Belle and Sebastian CDs that I have never listened to.

Except for one song which I put on my Lullabye playlist. Poor little fox.

6:29 PM, June 22, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home