6.11.2005

Chills (they're multiplying)

I had this idea before D and I went on vacation in February to make a mix
consisting of "songs that give you chills" (because they're so good, so sad, etc.)

Here's the playlist(Just e-mail me if you want a CD):

01. "Wish You Were Here" - Pink Floyd
02. "Svefn-g-englar" - Sigur Ros*
03. "Else" - Built To Spill
04. "Everything Means Nothing to Me" - Elliott Smith
05. "Tomorrow Never Knows" - The Beatles
06. "Pyramid Song" - Radiohead
07. "Let Forever Be" - The Chemical Brothers
08. "Hurdy Gurdy Man" - Donovan
09. "Fade Into You" - Mazzy Star
10. "Candy Says" - The Velvet UnderGround
11. "It's a Bad Wind That Don't Blow Somebody Some Good" - The Secret Machines
12. "Playground Love" - Air
13. "Drowse" - Queen
14. "Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin
15. "Trio" - King Crimson


*Notes: I fade the Sigur Ros song out at about 6 minutes, since after the 10th minute it can sound a bit luke-warm. And yes, I *did* include Stairway to Heaven... how could I not?? The flute sounds at the beginning still give me chills... maybe it's just my own nostalgia.

Warning: this mix is not full of good-time rockers. Each song on its own is great, but I admit it might be too heavy to listen to them all at once. It ends up sounding very sad & rainy(maybe I just inevitably gravitate towards that type of music) so don't go listening to it when you're already ready to slit your wrists. Although, listen to the bouncy Chemical Brothers song on your headphones as you walk down 8th Avenue and you'll feel like you're in an iPod commercial.

If I've ever made a mix for you before, you've probably already heard a good chunk of these songs already. I would be interested in seeing what you folks come up with if you make your own "songs that give you chills" playlist and post here! :-)

8 Comments:

Blogger d said...

I was in car that was packed past max capacity crossing the brooklyn bridge at dawn. pyramid song came on. perfection.

2:21 PM, June 11, 2005  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Fuckin A dude! Speaking of themes, I was just about to post my "Top 5 Songs For a Cab 3:15 AM When You're Just Buzzed Enough to be Mesmerized by Everything" mix.

I'll get on that whenever I extricate myself from the weekend haze.

I can safely say I've not heard a single title on this mix except well, Stairway DUH and that Queen song but only cuz you told me about it. And Mazzy Star seems familiar but I can't quite remember "Fade". So yeah, um, GIMME!

Please?

6:11 PM, June 11, 2005  
Blogger Jeremy said...

I think i wouldve used "Rain Song" instead of Stairway, but great selections throughout. You should set up a radioblogclub player with these tracks.

2:46 AM, June 12, 2005  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Thanks, other Jeremy. "Rain Song" is probably my favorite Led Zeppelin song, but it doesn't give me the chills like "Stairway".
I tried publishing an I-mix for this but only 5 songs are listed on the I-tunes store. I'll look into that radioblogclub thing.

4:08 PM, June 12, 2005  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Dude, I just attacked King Crimson online. I didn't get very far cuz I can't stop playing "Matte Kudasai".

I will give you three guesses why.

Thank you Jeremy!

8:47 PM, June 12, 2005  
Blogger Mike said...

But nothing by the Chills? "Pink Frost" or "Heavenly Pop Hit" would work wonderfully here.

2:33 PM, June 13, 2005  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Matte Kudasai? Rubbish, once Adrian Belew joined King Crimson it all went downhill.

Never heard of The Chills before

10:33 PM, June 13, 2005  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Don't know don't caaaaaaare who what or it went where. My priorities are set.

9:58 PM, June 14, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home