4.28.2005

I don't mind, 'cause I can handle it

Dear friends,

1. I'm snarfing mac and cheese and preparing myself mentally for The Raveonettes + The Dirtbombs show tonight at Southpaw. The Monkey was kind enough to score me a ticket and I cannot wait to enjoy the great love sound and see if Miss Sharin Foo's top will expose side cleavage again. (I am a pig. I know this. Imagine how terrible I'd be if I were a man; I'd be fatter, louder, drunker and working for Vice). I haven't had the chance to fully take in the new Raveonettes joint, Pretty In Black, but I do know Mo Tucker and Ronnie Spector are supposed to have their delicate hands in it and that thrills me to no end. As for The Dirtbombs, they ALWAYS deliver, they make me happy to have legs that sometimes work and their cover of Sly & The Family Stone's Underdog is so fabulous that I can't even put it on the SC covers mix 'cause I've already put it on every mix in Christendom since Ultraglide in Black came out. I can't be a mix repeater. That's some kinda sin.

2. I'd like to take this opportunity to send a very special apology to my hairy red friend Contributor Jared. Last year he gave me a mix cassette as a present for a birthday that had taken place a year or so earlier (we are truly related in matters of timeliness). As soon as he gave it to me, he asked for it back. And I never saw it again. I have been haranguing him shrilly about this ever since. A couple of weeks ago, I stumbled across this tape in a plastic bag. He HAD returned it to me but probably when my head was in another zone, possibly the moving house zone.

(gets down on one knee)

I apologize Jared. Humbly and openly. Perhaps my favorite cut on your gift is Funkadelic's Cosmic Slop. Especially since when I hear it, I SO picture you doing that terrifying foot stomp, parenthetical arm swing combined with shit-eating grin big red dance. It's just so you.

3. Shaun of the Dead which is really quite excellent despite the fact that I have severe zombie phobia so there was a lot of running in and out and hiding in my fellow viewer's neck, has a scene where the two heroes are leaving the pub after last call and drunkenly rapping/singing White Lines by Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five. The Monkey was not familiar with this title so I immediately went and played it. This impromptu DJ-ing inspired me to play Kraftwerk's Trans-Europe Express followed by Planet Rock by Afrika Bambaataa. Then I tried to pop and lock. I suppose the question is, what's scarier, a zombie horror comedy or my dance stylings? Hmmm.

4. Future karaoke song if anyone ever invites me to karaoke ever again (yes, that is a veiled dig at certain people I know who probably will not even read this) and the karaoke joint has it: Neneh Cherry's Buffalo Stance. Just so I can go "Gigolo! Huh...sucker!" in all the spaces between.

5. According to a lot of rock scribes and Led Zeppelin, Roy Harper is as mad as a hatter. This is why I was so surprised at hearing the beautiful Forever, which is like the perfect wedding song if you're into fairies and hobbits and swords and girls that are fair. In addition to his sweet, hushed singing, which is reminiscent of Donovan at his best (a vocal chameleon, Harper's also the one delivering the fierce Have A Cigar on Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here), the guitar playing is gorgeous and crisp. Go find it and marvel at the lovely little harmonics. One of those jewels.

Love, D

songs to seek: underdog/the dirtbombs, white lines/grandmaster flash & furious 5, trans-europe express/kraftwerk, planet rock/afrika bambaataa, buffalo stance/neneh cherry, forever/roy harper

Labels: , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger therese said...

I am so with you on the Neneh Cherry Karaoke. I think that may be one of my favorite songs ever. I'd like to learn the dive, so I can do it every time I dance.

5:20 PM, April 28, 2005  
Blogger d said...

abso-freakin'-lutely! what about groove is in the heart? that's number 2 in my karaoke wish list.

5:21 PM, April 28, 2005  
Blogger Kirsten said...

I tittered when I heard Shaun and his best friend drunkenly singing White Lines. It brought me back.

On an utter tangent, there is one D2 song which makes me laugh for no good reason. It's a B side called "Faster Than Light" in which the Living Moan strikes a very amusing high note. It's up there with She Bop for most obvious whack off song.

11:25 PM, April 28, 2005  
Blogger d said...

hey she bop is one I definitely didn't get for a long time. that & please please me being an earnest plea for blow jobs.

4:04 PM, April 29, 2005  
Blogger Jennifer said...

In "Shaun of the Dead," I laughed long and very hard when Shaun exclaimed [in response to the zombie's monotone callback] "What!? He could have at least said 'bass' or 'freeze!'"

And speaking of Duran Duran, which isn't too big of a tangent, no mention of their cover of White Lines in this post? Wha wha? Has Jeremy heard that? I think DD's The Reflex is a great whack-off song, too! ("try not to bruise it, buy time don't lose it" - in the video, a special effect waterfall spurts out of the stage onto a young man's eager face)

4:29 PM, April 29, 2005  
Blogger Kirsten said...

What was with the 80s and all them whack off songs anyway?

Frankie Goes to Hollywood's "Relax" wasn't covert. "I Touch Myself"? Man, I was like six bouncing innocently to She Bop. At least that wasn't blatant.

HAHAHA! I remember that Reflex vid! Dude, Duran Duran videos were the absence of sense. I was glued to the set once watching "Wild Boys" and not because I liked the song. They strapped 'em to a windmill thing and tried to drown 'em.

Hmmmm...

1:00 AM, May 01, 2005  
Blogger d said...

sorry jenny, that durani cover of white lines makes me want to kill people. maybe it's because they SO enjoyed cocaine, it seems a bit ridiculous for them to be singing about white lines (don't do it) no matter what their current status of recovery is. but I think so. I'm just not feeling it. but hey! to each their own!

2:20 PM, May 01, 2005  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Don't get me wrong, DD's cover of White Lines is laughable at best (hateable at worst). It's awful. But the song does have a positive message and coincided with the members of DD member laying off the sweet stuff, so it's fitting for them. Well, the lyrics at least, not the rapping.

12:53 AM, May 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home