4.01.2005

The Anarchist, The Solopsist

Back in college, I borrowed the Wicked Farleys' Sentinal and Enterprise from my friend Pete. I loved and cherished that CD and tried so hard to hide it away so that he would forget about it and never ask for it back. Of course he did ask for it back, but then it didn't matter anymore because somebody got a CD burner and I got a copy of my very own.

Eventually I kind of wound down on it, as tends to happen with any CD that you listen to day after day. But last October when I received my little white magic box of potentially-illegal music spendor and was scrounging though all my piles of old CDRs, I found that burned copy and re-realized what a totally bitchin' album it is. I don't think it's even possible for me to put suggested tracks at the end of this post because the whole freakin' thing is just great.

To give you a point of reference, the Farleys make me think of what might happen if Faraquet started playing a bunch of Blonde Redhead covers. What I mean is, there's a lot of rough and tumble math sound in there, but underneath it lies some delicate and vulnerable melodies. Not that the Farleys are a bunch of miserable butterflies, but you know. Plus the album is liberally sprinkled with little electronic bleebles and bloobles.

Now that I've recovered this great album, I find out that they have a whole bunch of other EPs and split 7"s. I've never heard any of this stuff, but I can't imagine that it's not really awesome. The thing that scares me is that they're don't seem to be playing any shows, and their tour page says something about "holding your breath for the reunion", so I don't know whether they're over or what. I hope not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home