3.23.2005

Such Great Heights

So, I know all you kids are into The Postal Service these days but I'll risk you throwing vegetables at me and tell you that I'm not into them at all. But you should all check out Iron & Wine's cover of their song "Such Great Heights", which is best enjoyed right after you brush your teeth and set your alarm and are ready to drift off to sleep.

D played this for me (of course)* and I know nothing about Iron & Wine but I really don't need to; I just really like the sound. There's the Nick Drake fragile vocals without the tragic element and the harmonies on their album are so nice, they just make you sigh... The music has an element of Atom Heart Mother-era Floyd in it which I always enjoy too.

So... go listen to Iron & Wine and they'll quench your thirst for mellow music after you're tired of all your Nick Drake records.

*editor's note: he may be all monkey, but sometimes j is my musical guinea pig. he seems fine with that.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Kirsten said...

Duuuude!

I heard this watching Garden State and was like "Woah, who the wha is covering P. Service? It's PURTY and not with all that digital wheeee-bee-bloooop-bleep-blip in the background!"

Sometimes covers do better than their originals? I always liked Mott the Hoople's "Young Dudes" better than Bowie's.

And yeah, breathy soft-voiced men who sing in harmony? I can think of nothing better to drift to. (except maybe HEM) Acoustic has that effect, I think.

Can we throw veggies at you anyway? You can dip them in hummus later? Make some crudite? ^_^

11:39 PM, March 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

listen to more iron & wine. all of his stuff is quite soothing. you won't regret it.

-tom

2:47 PM, March 24, 2005  
Blogger Jeremy said...

I totally agree about Mott The Hoople's "All The Young Dudes" being the best. Of course Bowie is a genius for writing it, but his version is not very exciting.

2:40 PM, March 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home