1.03.2008

Telegraph cables, they sing down the highway

Dear friends,

I am a passenger. I ride and I ride. Well, when I can. I hold maps, I point fingers, I raise my voice. I shout LEFT! NO! RIGHT! RIGHT! I look out windows and pretend I am a golden retriever excitedly watching cars pass. I fiddle with the radio. I dole out snacks to the driver. I am a passenger because I can't drive. Which is a pity because I like to wander. Go to random towns, take in the sights, however small potatoes they may be. This past weekend J drove me to a series of Hudson-side towns in a rented car. Lemme tell you, it's WAY better to get lost when you have wheels.

This house is impressive. Sadly, Anderson Cooper does not live there.


In Poughkeepsie, J and I took in a movie and went to the local Chili's since it was the only place open that late on a Sunday. We drank margaritas and ate unhealthy food. It was snowing outside like crazy and I started daydreaming about how we should go further north, where there are white-outs and picture-windows. I'm not picky though, I'd take an autumn evening as well. I thought of this song.

Moonlight in Vermont/Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong (mp3)

I have nothing to say except that when Fitzgerald returns with that rising "Ee-ee-eeevening summer breeze, warbling of the meadowlark" it's sublime because in addition to being sung beautifully, it embodies the sound of romantic contentedness.


Purchase Ella and Louis by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong on Amazon Digital.

Love, D

PS I'm currently working on an interminable piece about In Rainbows. If anyone wants to chat about it, or Radiohead in general, holla at me.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home