1.29.2008

Did you improve on the design? Did you do something new?

Dear friends,

I heard this from the other end of the office. I was sure someone else had poached Chris Martin for another hook. Something not as gray-sky dull as the one with Jay-Z. I went over and sought it out, asked the owner to tell me what it was. Oh. So that's Lupe Fiasco. And that isn't Martin singing, but some guy named Matthew Santos. Huh. Gotcha. Me go listen.

Superstar is refreshingly free of bullshit. It's got a smile to it alright, Fiasco can't help but drop all those dry ha ha ha's at the end of his verses, but there's skepticism underneath that doesn't seem hardened. I get the feeling that the narrator is not naturally cynical. They are optimistic but still observant and smart. So discovering the worms underneath the rock isn't causing a major outward show of horror. There's fear, yes, but also calibration at work. How do I sort out my situation now? What does this make me? Where am I going when this all stops? Where will I be?

Superstar (Featuring Matthew Santos)/Lupe Fiasco (mp3) (MP3 removed at the request of the label)*

Superstar (Featuring Matthew Santos)/Lupe Fiasco (video)


I do love that hook. Upon closer listening Santos sounds more New Romantics than Coldplay, that's probably why it's a million times more potent.

Purchase Lupe Fiasco's The Cool by Lupe Fiasco on Amazon Digital.

Love, D

* Well, not really. The label in question did not contact me directly about removing this MP3 but made itself known through other, more exciting means. NB (captastic so you can follow it better) IF YOU ARE A LABEL REPRESENTATIVE AND YOU WOULD LIKE US TO TAKE DOWN AN MP3, PLEASE CONTACT US DIRECTLY AND WE WILL REMOVE IT. ALL MP3s ON THIS SITE ARE HERE FOR SAMPLING PURPOSES AND ALL POSTS INCLUDE LINKS TO PURCHASE THE ENTIRE ALBUM.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting Superstar, I ended up buying it on ITunes

9:33 PM, January 26, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home