10.26.2005

too hot, too greedy

dear friends,

1. the new album and the glass handed kites by mew has a cover that makes me very uneasy. by the looks of the thing I was expecting some art-damaged prog psychosis coming my way. of course, that's not the case. the sounds contained within are poppy bits of chiming guitar bounce-along not dissimilar from late 80's never-rans the ocean blue (whose between something & nothing I voted for shriek of the week on wdre* all the time, like a NERD) but with a more feminine sounding male singer trilling all sorts of scandi-english imagery. seek out am I wry? no from their album frengers. warning: not for people who don't like sugar or factory-like song structure.

2. I'm not a fan of the instrumental because then there's no sing along & I must sing along, even if I'm up against bjork, kate bush or liz frasier. the results might not be pretty but I feel awfully satisfied as I screech "heathcliff! it's me, cathy! come home!" or something that sounds like "iiiina iiina lakka lakkka lakkka" as my co-workers grimace & fall to their knees all around me. I got powers, yo!

despite my aversion, I like mountain book by ooioo even though there are no lyrics, not even in a made up language, is interminable & sounds like the von trapp family caught in a drum avalanche. which come to think of it, would probably please a lot people who wished the sound of music had a different sort of ending. one featuring an alpine disaster. hmmm. maybe that's why I like it. warning: not for people who require song structures & more traditional vocalizing.

3. I've always longed for a flat affect. huh? that's right, I always wanted to be one of those people who have no reaction to anything mostly 'cause I spend most of my time doing subtle variations of "!!!" & I want to see how the other half lives. that & the fact that french movies have taught me that women with no discernable facial expression get a lot of play. perhaps this is why I like deerhoof's spirit ditties of no tone. perhaps I'm jealous that satomi matsuzaki sings like a xanaxed elementary schooler at a spelling bee. perhaps I find it amazing that anyone can sound so disconnected from the words they are singing & yet, it doesn't affect the song in the slightest, in fact, it enhances it. the vocal is a perfect foil for the so freakin' jaunty it reminds me of harry belafonte guitar squiggles. sounds intriguing, doesn't it? check it out.

4. there's some kind of game called stubbs the zombie? I don't know anything 'bout it (maybe one of our gaming contributors can shed some light on the game itself) but I can tell you that this game has a soundtrack featuring various indie types doing 50's & 60's songs. go find the dandy warhols' take on the everly brother's all I have to do is dream. picture 50's zombies with pomaded hair doing a side to side shuffle underneath a street lamp. then an arm falls off. I'm scared**.

5. contributor stephanie tells me I am a bad friend because I haven't contributed a list of suggestions for halloween related music to play at her devil's night party on saturday. I guess that means any song that features the scaries, regardless of genre. if you have any suggestions for her, can you please post them in the comments? I would be oh so grateful. wow. I just resisted making a grateful dead joke. aren't ya glad?

love, d

songs to seek: am I wry? no/mew, mountain book/ooioo, spirit ditties of no tone/deerhoof, all I have to do is dream/the dandy warhols

* for those who are confused, somewhere here, there's some discussion/explanation of wdre's shriek of the week. too lazy to pinpoint exactly where. enjoy!

** in a related note, for terrifying hypothetical fun, check out contributor phil's post regarding zombie attack preparation here.

13 Comments:

Blogger tina said...

Well, Steph can always be superlazy and go to http://www.yewknee.com/mix/ to steal his Halloween Mix. Other than some of his good choices, I suggest Granddaddy's "The Crystal Lake," cause it's a fun tune and Crystal Lake is horror-y. Ummm and thislooks super entertaining. And comeon Steph...the Shangri-Las"Leader of the Pack."

Pet Sematary - Ramones
Don’t Fear The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult (COWBELL)
Red Right Hand - Mr. Cave and the Bad Seeds...this song used to creep me out a lot

This top ten is also interesting.

4:32 PM, October 26, 2005  
Blogger d said...

same ghost every night/wolf parade? at this rate, I'll come up with one a day...

4:47 PM, October 26, 2005  
Blogger Gregg M said...

All right- "Simean Groove" by Folk Implosion off the KIDS soundtrack used to creep me out- a lot of wolves howling with a funky beat...and Cry Little Sister (Thou Shall Not) from...well, you know. I'm sure Mr. Bungle has some very creepy stuff Steph could use if she wants to go that route.

11:23 AM, October 27, 2005  
Blogger d said...

hmmm...the hexx/pavement. eh, she said/jon spencer blues explosion. the hilarious do they know it's halloween? (complete with melismatic fade-out a la do they know it's christmas), in the pines/nirvana, bela lugosi's dead/bauhaus, last caress/misfits, jack on fire/the gun club, your ghost/kristin hersh...

12:45 PM, October 27, 2005  
Blogger d said...

actually all of nick cave's murder ballads cd works. though it would probably insure that everyone at the party would be...uneasy.

1:08 PM, October 27, 2005  
Blogger d said...

unfortunately the anonymous comments usually come with some awesome anonymous spam. perhaps your thoughts will come back to you. in a dream. we'll be waiting.

5:00 PM, October 27, 2005  
Blogger therese said...

The Onion's AV Club got in on the Halloween List Action as well: http://avclub.com/content/node/41957

Though I have to say, I prefer 'Angel of Death' to 'Raining Blood.'

5:15 PM, October 27, 2005  
Blogger d said...

are those slayer songs?

5:18 PM, October 27, 2005  
Blogger therese said...

They sure are!

5:30 PM, October 27, 2005  
Blogger d said...

office recommendations: l.f. says 4 horsemen/metallica, delia's gone/johnny cash, I used to love her/guns 'n' roses, d says climbing up the walls/, john wayne gacy jr/sufjan stevens, subway song/the cure, a.m. says walking with a ghost/tegan & sara

that description of your pops says so much.

12:09 PM, October 28, 2005  
Blogger Gregg M said...

More- Gorrilaz have a song called Dracula off their first album/ Lullaby by the Cure/Season of the Witch by Donovan (Luna also did a cover of it)/I'm Just a Killer For Your Love by Blur/Stuff by Danny Elfman (The Freeway soundtrack is creepy)/Alligators Getting Up by Curve

2:40 PM, October 28, 2005  
Blogger d said...

that reminds me! dracula's wedding/outkast & jeepster/t-rex (that "girl, I'm just a vampire for your love" stuff makes it merit inclusion)

3:36 PM, October 28, 2005  
Blogger therese said...

And let's not forget Classics IV's 'Spooky!'

4:32 PM, October 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home