5.26.2005

there's more to life than books you know...but not much more

dear friends,

1. after ranting about how feelgood inc. by gorillaz is on my fantasy roller skatin' playlist, I catch the latest ipod commercial which features...yup, roller skatin' ipod people. clearly, I need to work in advertising. perhaps then I'll become fabulously wealthy & throw big piles of cash up in the air & go all power hungry & buy myself a castle, where I can traipse about wearing a paper crown, demanding rocky road ice cream all day long as I oversee the construction of my koi-filled moat. then again, they probably don't make that much money either. ah well.

2. last night I revisited one of my favorite david bowie tracks, sound & vision. there's something so clean & clear about that tune. try singing along to all those "don't you wonder someti-ah-i-ai-ah ah ah-iiimes about SOUND & VISIONNNNNN". I love that line's leisurely stretch up before it drops & how it ends with that crisp double tracked harmony. thrilling! o knowledgeable folks out there, can someone tell me who was bowie's hired gun, I mean guitarist, around this period? I cannae remember & I must know!

3. which way to happy by burly sibling act the magic numbers is a slow dance mirror ball prom type song that hearkens back to the 70's with its harvest-type strumming & soothing aaaah back-up vocals by the ladies of the group. earnest & refreshingly dated (these people are not courting the current "everybody sound like gang of four" craze), it's a perfect selection for an introspective sunday.

4. straight up, something about cody chesnutt creeps me out. is it the seed aka that "push the seed in your bush for life" song? uh, maybe. contributor jared played it for me several times in his trademarked uber-enthusiastic way when it first came out & the most I could muster was a skeeved "did he just say - I push the seed up in your chest? ummm...ok". I like the clipped guitar & the beat but damn I feel weird singing those lyrics (NB: I have singalongitis. it's critical. I. sing. along. to. EVERYTHING. seriously, it drives people nuts). I do like the song eric burdon. as per usual, I have no idea what he's talking about but I believe his fretful proclamations about how he's nothing without his mojo. a statement of truth that rises almost imperceptably in an amazingly controlled way; I feel like it's all chesnutt can do to stay in his skin. I will investigate further or maybe one of you nice people can fill me in on this cat's back story in the form of a (insinuating cough) post? hmm?

5. for those of you who don't believe in such a thing as "too many covers", friday, june 3 should be a helluva time. the the first official soft communication mix exchange & contributor george's great cover band project are joining forces & will take place at the same location, the unsuspecting library bar. but that's not all! after all the mix exchanging, cover idea suggesting & happy hour drinking, me & the aforementioned contributor george & the lovely contributor jessica are going to the knitting factory to enjoy the loser's lounge presents the cure vs the smiths show. you read right. while my only other experience with the losers was their queen tribute show at bowery which at times resembled a night of drunken karaoke with your friends (i.e. mostly howlingly amateurish but engaged performances with the occasional surprisingly good rendition) I actually enjoy that type of thing & can't wait to see what they'll do. for those of you in the ny area who can't go that night, there are other nights & times: friday june 3rd at 8pm (doors at 7), friday june 3rd at 11 (doors at 10:30), saturday june 4th at 8 (doors at 7), saturday june 4th at 11 (doors at 10:30). my wish list choices for the show are: the caterpillar or handsome devil. the royal we shall see if they comply.

love, d

songs to seek: sound & vision/david bowie, which way to happy/the magic numbers, eric burdon/cody chesnutt, the caterpillar/the cure, handsome devil/the smiths

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If we don't make a covers CD, we can still be in the Cover Band Project, right?

4:42 PM, May 26, 2005  
Blogger d said...

there's only a few people making the mix & a lot of the folks that will be in the covers band I don't think are familiar with soft communication so the answer to that is a hearty yes!

4:52 PM, May 26, 2005  
Blogger d said...

thanks pete!

10:19 AM, May 27, 2005  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Ahhh! Cody Chestnutt! I heard that one song you're talking about and although I had no probs with the music, the lyrics made me twitch. What the fugh is he talking about? Fer the luvvacarp, is that supposed to be a lurve song???

1:18 PM, May 27, 2005  
Blogger d said...

to rock & roll. actually, I decided I'd be better not to decipher it.

5:22 PM, May 27, 2005  
Blogger liz o. said...

The Cure vs. The Smiths sounds like a party indeed. Wish I didn't live on the other side of the freakin' country.

6:49 PM, May 29, 2005  
Blogger d said...

I'll try & give a full report (a poor substitution, I know). it's gonna be interesting going to one of these & feeling confident that I'll be familiar with every song. like. a. big. nerd.

1:42 AM, May 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home