5.20.2005

skronky wankers or wanking skronkers?

This was going to be a poll of some sort about noise bands (inspired by Tina's Lightning Bolt post) but instead I'm just going to talk about one in particular and point you in the direction of some killer vids.

The band in question is Magik Markers.

I'll be honest here. I don't own any of this band's music (though a copy of their new 12" is headed for me right this very minute, so they say!) but I have listened to a few tracks online, and I also have never had the pleasure of seeing this wild bunch perform in person, but rather the majority of my experience with them is through videos I've seen online. From what I can tell, they're one hell of a trainwreck, and I mean that in quite a deceptively sweet way, really.

The drums never fail, always pounding ahead, often fairly 'normal' style, and the bass isn't too far off from what you'd expect from many bands (when she actually plays notes)... but it's the singer/guitarist, Elisa, who is just so far out of her mind that she makes the whole thing worthwhile. She screams and moans and attacks her guitar - I'd hardly call it playing the guitar - and flails around, just a pure force unleashed on stage (really, like down on the floor, not to mention in the crowd half the time, apparently). Here for your enjoyment, a bunch of videos of Magik Markers playing live. Be careful, you might want to wear some heavy duty headgear.



Also here is a review of a recent show they played in Europe.

Does this make you want to see this band? I sure want to. Actually I think I want to JOIN this band. You think I'm kidding.

See and hear lots more crazy ass noise bands at Ecstatic Peace, including every single thing that Thurston Moore touches, which is thusly regarded as art, noise, or music, but never crap.

3 Comments:

Blogger george said...

what a trip. i dunno if i would wanna listen to it at home, but the live thing would be an experience.

3:15 PM, May 22, 2005  
Blogger d said...

it's funny, when I first read about this band (they played the hook not too long ago) I thought they had your name all over them. now I can't remember why I didn't tell you to check them out...

1:36 PM, May 24, 2005  
Blogger Bryan said...

they played the no fun fest, that's probably what you're talking about, d. i actually wanted to check that out (Double Leopards are another one that seem like they could be interesting live) but for whatever reason I couldn't go. i think the real thing about them is that it's not so much that I want to listen to or maybe even watch what they're doing, but rather I want to do it myself.

5:18 PM, May 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home