1.29.2007

You've got one too

Dear friends,

1. First the disclaimer: I enjoy the company of Emily and Travis Muggabear* of The Muggabears. Especially if there's television involved as it will ultimately lead to my laughing my ass off.

2. Part of the reason we became friends is because I loved their music and booked them for a show. The fact that we got along and kept in touch was a bonus.

3. They recently sent me an copy of their upcoming EP, Night Choreography.

4. I listened to it and thought to myself, this is some sexy music. I mean if you think Dirty Boots by Sonic Youth is sexy. If you're an indie rock pervert then it most certainly is. Don't front, you know who you are. There's a certain downward guitar stroke that gets you going. Or a whispered line that rises into a scream at just the right juncture. It's the sheer massive sound of it that thrills. Noise like a bee buzzing in a honey-drunk zig zag or a reverb wave that crashes over your head.

5. Now I've Got a Sword has noise like that. It's also got a weaving swagger that's all nasty hate-fuck come on. Plus a little background piano twinkling that suggests a more pleasant side to the raunch.

6. My Space conversational fragment between myself and an anonymous member of The Muggabears:

From: The Muggabears Date: Jan 26, 2007 6:21 PM
Hope you like the EP, coming your way now.

From: Neon Lights Date: Jan 26, 2007 1:48 PM
Listening to it...trying to figure out a way to write about it without sounding mega creepy.

From: The Muggabears Date: Jan 26, 2007 5:05 PM
Ha, how would you sound creepy?

From: Neon Lights Date: Jan 26, 2007 3:21 PM
'Cause I want to write up Now I've Got a Sword, how it's like dirty, scuzzy hot indie sex in a club bathroom with a zombie eyed but attractive hipster. I'm worried that's a little too fan fic/dirty old man in a raincoat. A dilemma!

From: The Muggabears Date: Jan 26, 2007 6:27 PM
I fucking love those old guys.

7. Exactly.

8. Song to seek:

Now I've Got a Sword/The Muggabears (MP3)
Now I've Got a Sword/The Muggabears (YST link)

photo by Lauren Andrews, 2006


9. The Muggabears are playing live on Friday, February 16 at Union Hall. Also as part of Neon Lights presents... on Saturday, February 17 at The Delancey.

10. Befriend The Muggabears on My Space.

Love, D

* Not their real last name. Here on Soft Communication, your band name becomes your last name. George Jezel decreed it so.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Muggabears blew me away when they played BYP. I don't know about the whole bathroom sex thing, though. That song makes me think more like the training version of Rocky movie cast entirely with members of Pavement.

Sadly, I'll be out of town for Neon Lights, but the Union Hall show sounds good.

Also, glad to hear that Soft Communication is developing a set of indoctrination rules, just like Fight Club.

1:48 PM, February 01, 2007  
Blogger d said...

As an official Contributor, you get to suggest another rule. It cannot be about stinky cheese.

2:04 PM, February 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That picture reminds me of the cover for Sheer Heart Attack... intentional?

4:26 PM, February 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home