3.10.2005

The Slow Shuffle

I recently sent my ipod back (Vanilla Leather) to that place in California where little men in white suits with clickwheels on their bellies (to stop the music) looked at my old 3rd generation and said "send this girl a new one." They did and today was the first day in about a week that I was able to listen to music on the subway. I put it on shuffle, scrolled randomly and "Clara Bow" by 50 Foot Wave came on. I found this track on the great Epitonic site a few months back and forgot how awesome it was. In case you didn't know, 50 Foot Wave is the project of Kristen Hersh and Bernard Georges of Throwing Muses fame and the few songs I have heard seems to depart from earlier Throwing Muses stuff ( I haven't listened to their 2003 self-titled) and her solo work. Whereas, I think her solo album Hips & Makers definitely has a Mary Timony in it, soft - but not too soft vocals of the confessional type, this song coming from 50 Foot Wave is NOT like that. It starts off with some nice fuzzy guitars low in the mix and the drums come in super strong followed by a good-n-loud bass line and hervocals. What is not to like? And then the guitar does this funny wheeeer-wheeeer-wheeeer-whee--eer-wheeeer-wheeeer. I think that's the part that killed me. And then the start and stop chorus. I really love those. Normally, I listen to quieter music in the morning, but this was perfect for a Thursday morning. I think I may want to check or at least download some songs off of their CD. Originally, this post was going to be about Hole because "Violet" came on after that, but I need to eat breakfast. All I will write now is that Hole was a fucking brilliant band with Live Through This. Courtney...why?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger d said...

blogger is being difficult so this comment may appear twice. my apologies...

I am definitely checking this out. I have lost & re-purchased several copies of hips & makers (& have several empty cd/cassette cases to prove it). I'm beginning to accept the fact that maybe me & ms h were not meant to be together. BUT WHY!!! SOB.

hole is rocktastic & I heart courtney (though I'm sure I'd feel differently after sharing a bus ride with her or something, inconsiderate bitch) in all her train wreck splendor. I actually got j, the biggest courtney hatah out there, to admit that hole's cover of fleetwood mac's "gold dust woman" was really good. ha ha. one down. several more songs to go...

10:35 AM, March 10, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, I got a couple of 50FtWave tracks when I was harvesting Epitonic as well. Clara Bow is a great rock song. Actually, speaking of unfortunate coincidences (see my Coup post), there was a CNN online story about 50FtWave wherein they were asked whether they thought their name was inappropriate in light of the tsunami.

Sometimes the stories on CNN are so mind-blowingly stupit that I have a hard time not going apeshit and smashing my computer to bits.

10:50 AM, March 10, 2005  
Blogger d said...

so what's the recommended song for 50ftWave (I almost wrote "queenie")?

10:59 AM, March 10, 2005  
Blogger tina said...

I recommend the one I listened to: "Clara Bow," but I also have "Lavender" and "Long Painting" and like em too. But Clara Bow is truly uptempo and rocking and the drums are just hands on the dashbooad baby and DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE!!

11:05 AM, March 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home